A500 vs K401
Nov 11, 2004 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aznsensazian

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, ive been a lurker here for a few months and even bought a decent pair of headphones on this forum. I upgraded from the hd212 pro to the A500 just last month and now i'm itching to have a nice pair of open headphones that still retains the nice soundstage of the A500. My two choices were narrowed down to the k401 and k501. Im leaning towards the k401 because i've heard the k501 was lacking somewhat in the bass area.

BTW, i will be using a MINT amp and a JMT cmoy to amp it. My question is will i notice a big difference jumping from a closed phone such as A500 to the K401 open phones? Im using my extigy and chaintech as my source. Will the K401 be that much better in mids than than A500. I love my A500 to death, but the mids are somewhat recessed on certain songs. Im not limiting myself to just the K401 (although im still getting these, thanks saxphile), so other suggestions for open cans are open. My budget is around $100 although i may stretch it to $150. Ive heard the hd580 is a nice contender.
600smile.gif
Thanks!!

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 6
I wouldn't recommend to get the K401 - it's not better than the K501 in the bass deparment, but tends to sound a little shrill in the highs compared to the K501. Price difference usually isn't that high, so I'd suggest to go directly for the K501.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 12, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 6
I really like the AKG K501. It's an amazing headphone, but whether you like it will depend heavily on the music you like and your personal preference. I don't really think the K501 lacks bass, I think it gives you what is there and the other headphones just emphasize it. But I'm not sure if the mint or cmoy can power it.

Nov 12, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies guys. Natsuiro, what amp would you recommmend getting for the k401/k501? Im thinking a pimeta or ppa would do it justice. Does the K401 share the same sound signature as the k501 say in terms of soundstage and mids? I like the soundstage on my A500 alot. IMHO, i think it adds excitement to the music. I listen to all types of music, but at the moment im listening to more of classical and trance. Would the k501 cover all types of music with ease? I would think the k401 cover more genres of music because its labeled as a jazz and pop phone, while the k501 would be more geared towards classical? Can someone comment on this?
k1000smile.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
I listen to all types of music, but at the moment im listening to more of classical and trance. Would the k501 cover all types of music with ease? I would think the k401 cover more genres of music because its labeled as a jazz and pop phone, while the k501 would be more geared towards classical? Can someone comment on this?

Well, to be true, personally I find the K501 to be a bit lacking in the lower registers for certain kinds of electronica/trance - my cure for that is the K240S, which is generally groovier and less neutral. Thus for Chemical Brothers, for example, I'd always prefer the K240S - while airier stuff like Orbital profits of the huge soundstage the K501 is famous for. And I'd recommend to ignore those K401/501 labels, which for me merely seem to be a marketing invention - I'd claim the K501 with its improved refinement and absence of the shrillness tendency of the K401 to be good for everything, not only classical stuff...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 12, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 6
I had the A500 and liked it a lot. It has nice bass, which I like. I found the Senn HD 555 to be a good open alternative to the A500, as long as they aren't driven from a sound card or portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back