A Year of Head-Fi
Sep 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

LithoJazoSphere

100+ Head-Fier
After randomly chatting with a guy that noticed my Pro 900s at work, I got to thinking about my headphone journey so far and a thread I started awhile back.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/591371/i-may-have-cured-upgradeitus

So, it's been a little over a year now since I fell into this hobby.  After being very casually interested in at some point getting some good cans, but not quite having the interest or money, on a whim I bought some lower end Grados that I'd heard about periodically for years.  I started researching and browsing here regularly, eventually signed up, and over the first few months amassed a fairly decent collection of gear.  I finished my initial collection, attended a meet, but kind of burned out from spending hours a day here for months. 

Fast forward to the present.  I haven't been here in half a year, haven't bought any new headphones since then, but I still regularly use half a dozen in my new collection.  My time, energy, and money has gone into upgrading my guitar rig.  Let me tell you, headphones seem like a deal compared to good guitars and amps.  If you thought this place promoted bad GAS, avoid places like The Gear Page or Gear Slutz at all costs.  I don't think I've reached headphone nirvana yet (maybe if I ever wind up with an SR-009 and Blue Hawaii amp years down the road), but I do seem to have staved off any major bouts of upgradeitis for now.  It's been a nice journey so far.

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 2
I agree. In comparison to other hobbies, headphones are actually relatively cheap.

If you spent $2000 on headphones, a $1000 amp and maybe a $1000 DAC, It’s still cheaper than a guitar hobby, a motor cycle hobby, and many other hobbies out there.

Hurray for headphones! It’s actually kind to your wallet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back