A visual comparison of mp3 320k, 192k, and FLAC
Nov 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, its quite obvious that audio data get lost during lossy encoding.
Hence I stick with lossless!
biggrin.gif

Those charts are quite meaningless IMO. How much of the light spectrum do you think you can actually see? Not very much at all. Audio compression works by removing the frequencies we can't hear. If you over compress then it removes some of the frequencies we can hear but compression at 192kb/s and above does not in my experience. YMMV.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those charts are quite meaningless IMO. How much of the light spectrum do you think you can actually see? Not very much at all. Audio compression works by removing the frequencies we can't hear.

You probably mean "lossy Audio compression works by removing the frequencies we can't hear.".
wink.gif

I agree that these charts are meaningless though. Cause you don't even need a chart to tell that there are data loss with a lossy codec, and a chart can't tell if the loss are audible or not.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably mean "lossy Audio compression works by removing the frequencies we can't hear.".
wink.gif

Yea, I get what you mean because flac uses compression too.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the best codec is the one that removes the most, with the smallest audible impact.

True!
But sadly there are no "perfect" lossy codec.

May 9, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 24
As many have already pointed out it's not necessary to prove a difference, no one ever doubted a difference, and it's fully expected that there will be a difference. The point of lossy encoding is to achieve perceptual transparency and nothing else. Graphs like these may be interesting to those with a technical interest in codec design but they say absolutely nothing about perceptual audio quality.

As long as everyone understands that then we can pick the graphs apart if we like, but let's understand that it all means nothing with respect to 'grading' lossy encoding. Only listening tests can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back