a video about analog vs digital
Mar 25, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 10
The analog recording engineer made all the usual arguments but ultimately came off as sounding pretty foolish IMO. But yeah, the whole segment was more 'infotainment' than any kind of scientific test.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 10
Pretty entertaining video. The test pretty much was what I'd expect, although I'm not sure of the testing conditions so I can't really say it's a valid one. I think the explanation at the end was right on the dot, though - you can simply replicate the so-called "analog sound" using software and have it perceptually indistinguishable.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The analog recording engineer made all the usual arguments but ultimately came off as sounding pretty foolish IMO. But yeah, the whole segment was more 'infotainment' than any kind of scientific test.

I guess you haven't heard some Steve Albini works, some of his analog recording techniques are amazing.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you haven't heard some Steve Albini works, some of his analog recording techniques are amazing.

Not to mention the awesomeness of a man who wears a calculator watch and coveralls.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The test pretty much was what I'd expect, although I'm not sure of the testing conditions so I can't really say it's a valid one.

My first complaint about the test was they didn't isolate the testees. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, each got hints from the other that something might have changed in the playback whenever the other switched their vote.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not doubting his talent, just his view that even current high-end digital recording equipment somehow can't equal analog.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not doubting his talent, just his view that even current high-end digital recording equipment somehow can't equal analog.

Well, in some aspects, yes. I have a TL Audio PA-1 dual pentode mic pre, I also have access to a studio that has the Focusrite Liquid 4 pre which is the top of the line digital recording interface with numerous famous analog preamp modelling (including the one I have) and emulation.

Using the same mic, gain and recording settings, I sent the 2 seperate voice files to my engineer friend who promptly picked out the real deal from the emulated one.
Even at 192kHz internal sampling, the Liquid 4 pre somehow cannot impart the weight, presence and sheen that tubes can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back