a stupid question only cause im a newbie when it comes to audio
Nov 5, 2002 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

imdisturbedbyyou

New Head-Fier
if theres a line out port on my cd player can another person put in their headphones in so two people are listening to my cd player at once?

my cd player is slimx 350

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 6
The signal is unamped, so it will sound quite bad--might even sound like pure static. There will also be no volume control for it. It will only work if you put an amp in between the source line-out and the headphones.

Get a signal splitter for the main headphone-out... they're only a few dollars at most, and work fine if you've got two easy-to-drive headphones, which is probably the case.

Other Head-Fi folks, correct me if I'm wrong, please!
frown.gif
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 6
With most portable audio components, I noticed that if I connect one headphone to the line out and another to the headphone jack, the volume drops and the signal becomes distorted from both outputs. Even with a headphone amp connected to both outputs, I don't think using both outputs simulatenous is a good idea. You wil need a headphone jack splitter and connect it to only one output.

You basically have two choices - connect the line-out to an ampifier, but then again, you will need a Y-adapter from the amplifier to support two headphones. The line-out was designed to be connected to an amp or a receiver. Otherwise, you can directly connect the Y-adapter to the headphone jack of the pcdp. Whether or not if the pcdp can drive two headphones is something I have never yet tried. I can imagine two different headphones connected to the same output may yield different sonic qualities and loudness.

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 6
Probably the only good way to use two sets of phones with one portable is with an amp, either one that has two jacks - ask for this if you want a DIYDBSE amp; or connect a Y to it.

pedxing, I also suspect most PCDP will have some sort of trouble with the double duty. Especially if the PCDP is one that has a battery life of 100hrs or so; that tells you not much power is dedicated to amplification. Probably not much money and effort either.
frown.gif

So, look for an amp. I will pretty soon, and that's for driving one set of phones.

Nov 18, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 6
The only stupid question is the only you didn't make....all questions are wise...you learn questioning!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back