A Rich, Bassy Sound Under $500USD
Feb 23, 2016 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MrNick

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings,

I am searching for a truly rich, lush, musical sound with a bass that digs deep. I've been in the IEM arena for some time now and it's time to step things up a bit. Over-ear headphones are the name of the game here. 

Open or closed styles are all welcome suggestions; the sound is what matters. :)

Preferences towards:

-Bass: Bass oriented headphone. Incredibly deep subbass with a mild mid-bass hump would be preferable. V-shaped/U-shaped/J-shaped headphones apply.
-Mids: As stated above: lush, thick, rich, detailed, and enveloping. I'm a basshead but I'm still looking to breach "audiophile" (whatever that means) territory.
-Highs: As long as they're not metallic we are all happy. Not needed to be amazing here, but definitely a huge plus if there is a little sparkle up there, even if laid-back overall. 
-Soundstage: Bigger the better. Not necessarily needed to be the best-imaging headphone (think Sennheiser IE80).

Please include recommendations for amp pairings as well. 

Budget is $500-700. Again, any suggestions for over-ears are truly appreciated! Thank you Head-fier's!

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 11
Fostex THX00

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 11
I have looked into the JVCSZ2000 and it doesn't seem like a bad option for a purely bass-slammin' experience, however I have an inkling I'm searching for something a bit more detailed...unless these headphones truly punch above their price range in terms of soundstage and midrange.

Can anyone protest to the Audioquest Nighthawk having enough bass? (Think: IE8/80-ish?)

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 11
  I have looked into the JVCSZ2000 and it doesn't seem like a bad option for a purely bass-slammin' experience, however I have an inkling I'm searching for something a bit more detailed...unless these headphones truly punch above their price range in terms of soundstage and midrange.

Can anyone protest to the Audioquest Nighthawk having enough bass? (Think: IE8/80-ish?)

I have never thought the nighthawk was bassy, it just lacks any sort of treble response.  It's more lower midrange-y than it is bassy.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 11
Mar 24, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 11
Fostex is looking more and more like the end game here. TH900's look freaking lovely. Though it may be overkill for what I'm going for (gift for basshead SO). TH600 may just do the trick.

Now to comb through head-fi for amp pairings...

I appreciate the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back