A reminder on using in ears and fixing a common issue.
Nov 5, 2023 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Revelation Sound

Head-Fier
I have been using Shure 425's for several years playing in a worship band. Recently I had a problem with my right channel with my Shure's not working during a practice on a Thursday night and we were set to play on Sunday. I figured it was time to get a new pair of in ears, and I always was interested in the SE 535 Shures which have 3 drivers vs the 2 drivers on the 425's so I purchased them. I went to play them on Sunday and only the left channel worked as well. The in ears were plugged into a long cable that went to the Avion.

Lesson 1: When you have trouble with your in ears, you need to troubleshoot. If I plugged my 425's directly into the Avion, I may have found the issue was with the cable I was plugging into.

Lesson 2. If you confirmed the issue was not the cable your plugged into, swap out the cables on your in ears or just swap the left and right wires to confirm the issue is the cable. If it is, all you need to do is buy new cables. You don't have to spend the money for new in ears.

Lesson 3. Check for wax inside the in ears. I knew this lesson, but it has been a while I did not think about it especially when I was under the gun to get in ears that worked for Sunday. My right channel was full of wax. Shure includes a little black stick with a wire on the tip it to help remove the wax. I spent 5 min's getting all the wax out. I then tested the in ears on my stereo, and it worked just fine.

So now I had to decide if I wanted to keep the SE 535's or return them. Thankfully Shure has a return policy.

Reviews on Head-Fi stated the instruments on the SE 535 were more forward and the sound stage was larger vs the SE 425's. I did a A/B comparison between the 425's and 535's on my stereo. I played Yes Owner of a lonely heart, the new Rolling Stones album Hackney Diamonds, and Van Halen Jump. It was very obvious that the 425's though I had no problem using them live, there is a recessed sound on lows and high with providing a buttery mid push. I will admit I would not be happy using these in ears to just play music with. Details in the top end and low end were only ok, with a lot of mids. In switching to the SE 535's, the low and high instruments were brought forward, it has a bigger sound stage and a clearer bass. They do not offer a big bass, but it was better than the 425's. These in ears were $500 when they came out around 2010. Recently due to competition, they have dropped down to $400. I will say that these are pretty decent in ears. They are not too big, fit in my ears, and the foam closes nicely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back