A Question from a Newb DIY'er
Nov 12, 2003 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vtny

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking around the boards for a while and finally got up the courage to build my own CMoy.

I've been following Tangent's instructions and managed to get the power section of the circuit finished and tested last night. Now I've run into a couple of snags.

1. What is the trick to soldering panel components? I had a lot of trouble soldering the hook-up wires to the LED last night. I could get everything hot enough for the solder to flow but the LED leg and the wire kept sliding apart.

2. How do you keep the batteries from ratteling around and hitting the amp when you place it in a tin?

3. Why didn't anyone tell me that DIY'ing was addictive I'm already thinking about building another amp and this one isn't even done yet?
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help.

Nov 12, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 4
1. Hold the wires together. Either get them to press against each other, or bend them close enough, or use something to hold the leads together. A pair of Helping Hands is ideal.

2. 9Vs fit pretty firmly in an Altoids tin. I suppose you could add some tape around the sides or something. If you have a lot of room, screw or glue some battery holders in place.

3. You were never greeted with, "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet"?

Nov 12, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by vtny
2. How do you keep the batteries from ratteling around and hitting the amp when you place it in a tin?

I used some leftover tool box drawer liner material. I think it's the same stuff they sell in the home section for keeping your rugs from sliding on your wood floors. It works great and it is rubber, so it insulates you from the side of the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back