A Question for anyone familiar with Metcal
Oct 11, 2005 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

saab

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know anything about the Metcal STSS-002? I just won one of these on eBay. It comes with a couple of tips, and he claims it is in working condition. I could not find any information on the Metcal website.

Thanks for any info.
-John

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Specifically, this is the one that I won.
ab_1.JPG

I think I might need to get some new tips, and I am not sure which ones will fit or where to get them. I would also like to find a copy of the user's manual.

One more thing: did I over-pay?

Thanks
-John

Oct 12, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 7
This model isn't in the Metcal catalog I have, so I can't tell you specifically what tips it uses. Your best bet is to look at the tips for the model number when you get it. The current standard tips are the STTC series for general soldering/rework, and SMTC for specialized tips for SMD work. (For the 500-MX iron that is currently in the catalog.) This sounds like it might be the MX-500 predecessor. Looks like you got a pretty good deal. (The MX-500 is $750 or thereabouts, but is also a dual-head iron). The model number sounds like it may use the STTC tips. If so, there are plenty to choose from. I have at least a dozen tips for my MX-500, in various sizes and temps.

There is also an SP200 iron that uses SSC series tips. This is a lower cost, single control version of the MX-500. The SSC tips are not interchangeable with the STTC or SMTC tips.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

bg

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 7
I think i saw that the STSS uses STTC tips. I will elaborate more on the model number when it arrives.

Thanks for the help
John

Oct 14, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Well I just received it at work. It is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I fired it up and it heated up almost instantly.

It does in-fact use the sttc tips, so I guess I have plenty to choose from. It came with a couple of tips tht are a bit big for my needs. I also need to get a stand as it was not included (I was aware of this). Where is the best place to get the accessories? HMC?

Thanks, and I will put up some better shots when I get a chance.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back