A noob needs upgrade advice, please help him :)
Aug 18, 2004 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Hello!

My first post on these forums so first let me say I really love reading them and have learnt a huge amount already (been coming here for a month or so) - though considering I'm total wanabee-audiophile its hardly surprising
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, on to my question.

Just bought myself a pair of Sennheiser 580's and am running them through an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card, playing 192+ bitrate MP3s, FLACs and APEs.

Even now the 'phones sound amazing (first true audiophile phones I've owned mind you), but my next purchase will definately be a Talisman T-3H headphone amp after hearing the many excellent comments on it and knowing I can get one from Headphonic.

This may well satisfy my need for awesome sound, but if i want to upgrade again down the track do you think I would be wiser to upgrade my soundcard (which I've heard is so-so audiophile-wise) or instead buy a cheap-ish external DAC?

For $500 AU I could get either an E-MU 1212 soundcard or Art DI/O DAC but which would serve me better? - Or perhaps I should go with something completely different... decisions decisions!

Thanks a bunch for reading, I have trouble getting to the point sometimes
eggosmile.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, seems not much has changed since I last posted here (months ago). Still this lack of intrest for people asking for help. I'll try to fill you in as good as I can however, and hope that someone else can post some comments.

As far as I have heard the M-Audio Revo 7.1 is one of the best soundcards for audiophile use. Can't see why you should be unhappy with it in someway if you buy that amp (wich looked really nice by the way
tongue.gif
). So I can't see any point in getting a very expensive soundcard to put into a computer wich itself generates some noise and lowers the 'plesantness' of listening to music. I'd go with a stationary CD Player of some sort. You can get a very good one for less than that soundcard you mentioned but I don't know if you prefer sitting by the computer than relaxing in a nice and comfy chair listening to the music without any hum from the computerfan's.

In my opinion, you should be very pleased with the sound and that amp if you someday buy it.

PS: That site seem to overprice the amps alot. I thought a Sudgen Headmaster wen't for around $1000-1300, not $1980
eek.gif
I think you should check out some other sites before choosing any amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Ultimately, I believe that getting a DAC is not worth it unless you are prepared to spend upwards of $300, preferably $500. Any less, and you're better off getting a good soundcard such as the E-MU. Furthermore, getting a good soundcard provides you with a good base to build on (meaning, good digital out) if you ever want to get a DAC in the future.

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 9
I am moving this to the Computer forum where there may be more informed opinions on a soundcard.

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

So I can't see any point in getting a very expensive soundcard to put into a computer wich itself generates some noise and lowers the 'plesantness' of listening to music. I'd go with a stationary CD Player of some sort.

The point is,EMU costs $200 stock,and the cd player that you will get for the same money will most likely be a whole level below in sound quality.Also,accessing music stored on your hard drive is much easier.And you can listen to the music on your computer AND relax in you comfy computer chair.The fans noise is what might be a problem,espicially with the open cans like 580,but if you have a nice aluminum case that passes heat out much better,you dont need your fans to be fast(and therefore noisy),except for the cpu fan,I only have 2 fans in mine,and with my cd3ks on barely hear anything even with no music playing.From what I read ART di/o DAC is inferior to 1212m in overall sound quality,but it is warm while EMU is analytical.

Aug 18, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless
PS: That site seem to overprice the amps alot. I thought a Sudgen Headmaster wen't for around $1000-1300, not $1980
eek.gif
I think you should check out some other sites before choosing any amps
smily_headphones1.gif

My guess is that those are Australian dollars, not US dollars. Big difference
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 9
My recommendation is to get an emu 0404 and either a power conditioner or better interconnect. Then save for a $500USD+ external DAC. The stock DI/O is nothing special although I do like the modded ones.

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 9
Muchos gracias for the advice amigos!

In answer to the questions that have been asked-

Headphonic is located in Western Australia or so I hear, so yes all those prices are in Aussie dollars.

As for PC fan noise affecting my listening experience on the 580's, I ought to point out my main rig is DIY watercooled and I'm an occasional poster at Silent PC Review, so it's probably about the one aspect of PC "audio" I can get my head around
biggrin.gif

From the advice so far it does sound like a soundcard upgrade would suit me better, and I especially like the notion that upgrading to an E-MU 1212 would also enhance digital performance with an external DAC, perhaps making it a worthy choice even if I went the way of the DAC a year+ down the road..

I'm interested in the point you make about the Art DI/O's "warm" sound cadobhuk. I remember reading in it's specs that it uses "tubes" and that this somehow gives the sound a different feel to regular Hi-Fi gear, perhaps more emotional or vibrant?
I'd be really interested to know just how much difference this could make to the texture of my 508's, which I've already noted seem to be somewhat "soft" and "relaxed" sounding, particularly with Rock.

Aug 18, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 9
The 0404 and 1212m have about the same digital outs.

The DI/Os tube is used in ADC section not the DAC section so it's irrelevant for output use.

>>>>the texture of my 508's, which I've already noted seem to be somewhat "soft" and "relaxed" sounding, particularly with Rock.

That's why I recommend 0404 over 1212m as 1212m is relatively relaxed sounding also. HD580 + 1212m could be a sleepy combination
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back