A New Hobby and Healthy Hearing
Jan 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in the medical field and a concern that didn't take long to arise for me is the lasting health of my hearing while pursuing this new hobby of mine.

I'm currently listening with my headphone amp 1 and a half marks up, with a total of ten marks to dial. It took a while to get accustomed to this recommended volume for listening since I would have liked it to be higher. I am hearing things just fine with this volume and can listen for hours, at times falling asleep with my my headphones on (who said the Sennheiser HD 650's aren't comfortable?
darthsmile.gif
)

There's so much more volume left, and on searching the Internet, it would seem that hearing loss in the young is a problem we'll be facing at an alarming frequency when the effect of this new craze of mobile music players with earphones that has in turn, increased the popularity of audiophile grade headphone gear, comes to fruition.
triportsad.gif

Does HeadRoom have any plans with regard to addressing this issue proactively? IMO, the most important would be to create an awareness of the issue without creating panic. An article on the website addressing the problem and preventive strategies that can be employed.

Of course, there's also the counterargument that those who visit HeadRoom will not easily be scared away from their love for great sound.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Hey Aimlink,
I was about to make a post regarding this topic. I also have recently turned down the volume of my amp while listening. I am currently drooling over the GS1000s and after reading Headrooms description I now know they actually sound better with the volume on a lower setting. Thinking about this inspired me to listen to low volume levels with my SR80s and HD650s, (this also helps eliminate the "in ear" sound of in ear earphones) and the results surprised me. Music at lower levels losses none of its detail, (by my ears) and picks up a light, feathery sensation that my ears and mind just beg me for more of. I find the music more easily penetrates me in a way it dose not at higher levels, the sounds winds its way through my mind rather than being forced through. This completely surprised me as one would think the opposite to be true, try it if you do not believe me. I do not turn volume so low as to not hear the music, or strain to pick out details, but just lower than I may have in the past, its like getting new headphones, and cooler than that.
A new creamy low volume music lover,
Kevin

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Jerrycan.

Just the sort of coverage I was looking for. This is good.

So far, non of the headphones or audioequipment comes with hearing issues *clearly* documented etc.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 7
kboe, I agree with your sentiments on the unexpected benefits of listening at lower volumes as recommended. It's less fatiguing, very soothing with some genres, and there's no loss of clarity or dynamic range with these HD 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back