A moment of audio epiphany: (MG Head tube)
Nov 11, 2002 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Have you ever had one of those moments where you thought, "That *wasn't* in the music the LAST time I heard the CD!"

I just had about three of those, in rapid succession.

I don't know why... I'm not using any really new/revolutionary tube in the 'ol Head, I just stuck in one of my precious reserve of Tung Sol 5751s. The only difference is that I started listening while doing homework, then went to a jazz concert (James Moody, w00t!
biggrin.gif
) and had dinner away - meaning the tube warmed up for about 5 hours.

So I sat down at the keyboard again to keep working on this damned science lab report (a 6 out of 5 on the Homework Time Consumingness Scale, GRR :MAD
smily_headphones1.gif
, and throw in Pink Floyd: Echoes to the 'ol Arcam.

My god! I knew the Tung Sol was good with Floyd, but not THIS GOOD! The stereo separation and imaging, the bass (PUNCHY!!!), everything. Though the midrange is a tinge recessed, it's smooth warm and tubey (like a Tung Sol should be
smily_headphones1.gif
) The attack and decay is soft, but accurate, with lots of blackness between the notes (apart from the tape hiss present on the recording, which the Sol does seem to accentuate a bit. Not that that's neceessarily bad, it just sounds like you're sitting in a nice comfy leather chair listening to a recording on an old, cool looking open-reel tape recorder [and they ARE cool; we've got one upstairs
evil_smiley.gif
]

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 5
hey eric343

i notice that you live in bellevue. did you get those tungsol 5751s tubes from bob at vetco electronics? i remember him having a nice selection of tungsol tubes in his stash.

Nov 11, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 5
No, I got them off the Bay...

But I'll make sure to take a look at Bob's stash again - I didn't get much of a chance to look through it last time I was there...

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by tone
hey eric343

i notice that you live in bellevue. did you get those tungsol 5751s tubes from bob at vetco electronics? i remember him having a nice selection of tungsol tubes in his stash.

I live in Seattle and Im getting a MG Head. Were is this place and is it better than tubestore.com?

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 5
hey PAGEFAULT,

the place i know of is called vetco electronics and is inside of a fred meyers complex in bellevue (over by magnolia hifi). you'll have to ask for bob since he owns the tubes and vetco lets him sell his stuff there. bob is a tube expert and has had to endure many stupid questions from me!

another head-fier named braillediver has pretty much grabbed all of bob's choice stuff so you should ask him if he has any el84s or 5751 tubes for sale. he lives around here too and will probably deliver for the right price!
biggrin.gif

i've never had a problem with any of the tubes i've bought from bob or braillediver (they both have tube testers) and they are both easy going nice guys.

i don't know that much about tubestore.com so i'm not sure how their stuff compares to bob's stuff.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back