A great album for headphone listening: Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Oct 2, 2002 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mcbiff

100+ Head-Fier
This album really sounds great when listening with headphones, I just love his voice and the way it is mixed. The soundstage feels like it's surrounding my head with the singer in the middle. Truly an awesome disc, highly recommended.

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 10
I've always been a fan of Knopfler. From his Dire Straits period to the stuff he did with Chet Atkins and gang, Mark has always played his ass off and I'm glad I've listened.

I had the privilege of seeing Chet in person twice before he passed away....he thought a great deal about this guy and loved to jam with him.

wink.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 10
A bit bright and unnatural sounding. Compare this to the first Dire Straits album and you'll see what I mean.

Oct 3, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 10
I like this album too, but since so does my wife, we always listen to it together. I usually reach my headphones when it's "my music". You know, the stuff no one else in the house wants to have inflicted on them. Well, I'm going to run this album through some phones now. Thanks for the suggestion.

The only time I was ever fired from a job was due to Mark Knopfler. But that's a story for another day...

Oct 6, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Ok, after talking about this album, I pulled it out of my collection. I'd forgotten just what a fine disc this is. The duet with James Taylor on the title song is goose-bump city. The production, pickin' and sangin' on the whole thang just slays me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 10
To continue this thread I'd like to mention that I just put in an order for the limited edition of Mark's new album (Ragpicker's Dream), I'll post my thoughts here when I've had a good listen to it.

Part of the reason why I picked up the limited version is also that it comes with a bonus cd with a few live versions of tracks from earlier albums. These include 'Brothers in Arms' and also the title track from 'Sailing...'. Pretty sweet bonus if you ask me.

Oct 11, 2002 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 10
Finally! Ppl who like this album! Thanks mcbiff. Coincidently, I've mentioned this particular album before in the Music for listening on headphone thread.

RickG: I go goosepimply behind my neck on the duet with James Taylor.

And don't forget his signature style of string plucking producing a truly unique sound.

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Another one that I listen to at work quite a bit is Golden Heart that he put out a few years before the Sailing to Philadelphia. I wa looking at a website recently and was amazed at the number of film scores he has to his credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back