A few Jazz JEWELS that I stumbled across
Sep 30, 2004 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Benny Green Trio - Testifyin'!

I picked this one up a couple days ago off of amazon. This trio is bang on target. Benny Green has very good technical chops and really knows his stuff on piano. Christian McBride on bass is...well, he's the way he always is
wink.gif
Carl Allen on drums surprised me. I'd never heard of him before this CD. The style is a bit like Oscar Peterson, good ol' swing, but at some parts, they swing harder than Oscar and his tall gang ever did, and the best part, IMO, is that their interplay is a bit like the Bill Evans Trio. There's more dialogue between the instruments than what I hear with Oscar. This is good stuff! Very good recording. If there's a weak spot, it's that the bass is a bit soft, IMO.

Benny Green and Russell Malone - Jazz at the Bistro
This disc's just got Benny and Russell Malone. This is some amazing playing. These two cats are just perfectly in lockstep with each other. They know each other inside out and don't make a misstep anywhere. Some of the music is more on the expressive side, but there's some good hard swing in there too. Excellent recording with some expensive ball mikes and a custom meitner adc/dac.

Joe Pass / John Pisano - Duets
I'm just listening to this right now for the first time. First thing that jumped out at me was that it was a nice recording! A second later, I got into the groove with the music and decided to write this up because it's not often I find so many jems in such a short period of time. These two guys complement each other very well. I think Joe Pass is doing most of the soloing, not that I'm complaining
smily_headphones1.gif
These two guys make some great music together. Very mainstream, very accessible. I think I can listen to this stuff any time and not get tired of it.

When I first started writing this, I was going to say that Benny Green and Russell Malone was my favorite cd, but now that I've heard more of Joe Pass / John Pisano, it's getting to be a very close call. These two albums are both must own duet discs. The Benny Green Trio disc is the best piano trio disc I've listened to in quite a while. I'm not always in the mood for Bad Plus atonal crush all the time
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back