A few comments on the use of closed headphones, and a blog entry.
Jun 19, 2009 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KONAKONA

Banned
Well I was thinking earlier and I thought I might type out some of those thoughts.

Closed headphones, that don't isolate well, are useless. Unless you happen to prefer the sound of closed headphones (which I don't think I've seen anyone who does) over open ones, then the only real point of them is isolation. Don't need isolation? Why not get open headphones?

This is on the 'list of reasons why I don't quite like my Q40s'.

Anyway, since this is a blog, I guess I'll just chuck out some other stuff about my goings-on as well.

I quite like both my AD700s and MS1s. If I could only have one headphone I would take the MS1 simply because it stays on my head better, but I like the sound of both of their sound signatures. My KSC 75s are laying around somewhere, as I don't have much use for hidden headphones during the summer, and my portapros are on loan to whoever wants a good pair of headphones. (IRL friends only, sorry guys.)

First up on my list of stuff to buy are some G1As, and I need to get them before summer is over. These will be my new 'all day during school' headphones. After that I'll probably save and get some livewires, as I need something with good isolation. Even with all this stuff going around about custom IEMs being overrated, I still want a pair of customs. :3

Need to find a job.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Besides sound isolation, another benefit of closed headphones is sound containment. In certain situations, a closed headphone with little sound isolation or a semi-open headphone like the AKG K240 would be more desirable than a completely closed headphone. Two examples which come to mind are during recording and at a desk job. During recording, you can listen to the track without sound bleeding into the mic while being able to easily receive directions from the producer. At a desk job, a semi-open headphone or a closed headphone with little sound isolation would allow you to listen at any desired levels without distracting coworkers and still be able to pick up calls and interact with others. As you can see, there are two major benefits to a closed headphone: sound isolation and sound containment; just because a closed headphone doesn't excel in the former doesn't mean that there are no applications for it.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 3
Well if you use a low enough volume, you can do the same thing with open headphones. I use my KSC 75s at school all day and I can still hear what people are saying around me, but they can't hear what I'm listening to.

But the KSC 75 might be semi closed? :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back