[a crazy thought] best sound w/o cable?
Feb 20, 2003 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
If I plug a RCA-mini adapter into amp and connect the other side to Sonica, will I get better sound than connectin both with a cable regardless of the price?

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 14
confused.gif

I don't know what you're saying.

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

If I plug a RCA-mini adapter into amp and connect the other side to Sonica, will I get better sound than connectin both with a cable regardless of the price?

I too am having some trouble understanding your question. I think you are asking whether or not to use interconnects between your rca adapter and amp. Well, there are so many possible scenarios and its really impossible to tell whether or not your interconnects will change the sound into a more pleasurable one. If you want the most exact, clean sound... Sounding as close as possible to the source, use the least amount of cabling possible. But some interconnect additions in certain scenarios will actually transform the sound into something better. So in some instances using more IC (cabling) will sound better becuase the cable itself chagnes the signal into something better.

For instance, if your source seems bright ... And you use merely an adapter to basicly hook it straight into the amp .. And the amp is also slightly bright.. Your going to have a bright overall sound. But if you mix a nice warm IC in there... It might tame some of the exessive brightness and end up increasing overall sound quality.

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 14
You got my question, I was simply asking if I hook up a source directly to amp w/o using any cables, will the sound be at its best.

Edit: Was it my English or was it the something else that you didn't get meaning? Since lately in school more people have trouble understanding me.

Feb 20, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 14
It was just the way your words were arranged in the question.

An easier to understand way to ask would have been:

Does adding an interconnect inbetween an RCA-->mini adapter and an amp enhance or decrease the quality of sound?

It was just a little confusing, no sweat!

"I was simply asking if I hook up a source directly to amp w/o using any cables, will the sound be at its best."

Think of cables as an extra variable with the ability to change the sound of the system as a whole. If there is something that dis-pleases you within the sound of your system, it could be caused by a number of variables. One of them being IC's. Interconnects can both decrease the quality of the sound or increase the quality of the sound depending on the other variables in the system. Generally the other variables are the source, headphones, and amp. So you basicly have 4 variables within the normal headphone system. Those variables need to be mixed and matched according to their sonics to maximize effeciency for the system as a whole. Everyone has different preferences as to how they like to mix/match their different variables... And there are sometimes well known matches (ie MG head with HD600's). I hope this helps answer your question.. Take Care.. -Nefarion

Feb 20, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 14
Ah I get it now also.

The problem with this is the RCA-> mini adaptor is a fixed size and on my amps, the distance between left and right RCAs are different sizes. But assuming it could work, a more direct connection could be good but as Nefarion said, the IC adds the tweaking variable which can be used to tweak the sound to your tastes.

Feb 21, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 14
It might be that people have trouble understanding you because your name is Jar Jar Binks, pronounced as HE pronounces it.
confused.gif

Feb 21, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 14
i would think that cable swaps between a sonica and budget amp aren't going to make a gigantic difference like it may coming from a higher-end source. the no cable idea is interesting, but i imagine even those cheap adapters have to have some kind of signature.

Feb 21, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i would think that cable swaps between a sonica and budget amp aren't going to make a gigantic difference like it may coming from a higher-end source. the no cable idea is interesting, but i imagine even those cheap adapters have to have some kind of signature.

Thank you! I thought the same thing. The idea of getting a cable which will be used on Sonica for MP3 playing to make the sound warmer or brighter is like mission impossible. Of course you have keep in mind that getting a cable more expensive than the source (Sonica in this case) is even more ridiculous.

Feb 21, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Thank you! I thought the same thing. The idea of getting a cable which will be used on Sonica for MP3 playing to make the sound warmer or brighter is like mission impossible. Of course you have keep in mind that getting a cable more expensive than the source (Sonica in this case) is even more ridiculous.

Yes, i agree. Cable swapping in a low end source isnt really feasable. If you need an extenstion, something cheap like outlaws should be suffecient.

Feb 22, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 14
Length is not my concern. I was looking at cables on headphone.com and I found the following that fall within my budget, I need the cable also for my PCDP besides Sonica.

including Outlaws PCA $49, need an adapter
1. Kimber Mini to RCA $59
2. Kimber PBJ Interconnects $69, need an adapter

So from these three which is the best? And for the adapter any will do right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back