A challenge - what to do with old Compaq laptop?
Jan 4, 2005 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Johncan

New Head-Fier
I have my mother's old Compaq Presario 1270 laptop and it has some minor problems. The PCMCIA slot does not work but the single USB 1.1 jack does. With only one working USB jack, what could you do with this computer for audio? I hate to pitch it.

I could get a USB hub and hook up a USB sound card and a USB network card to the hub. From there I could connect it into my home wired LAN. Will USB 1.1 be fast enough to pull music off a 10/100 network and output sound to a Sonica? I play FLAC and VBR MP3s. I know USB 1.1 is fast enough to pull MP3's off the server and play them through the laptop crappy integrated soundcard. However, I don't if it can pull the file and output a digital signal via a USB soundcard at the same time.

Open to any suggestions...

BTW... the laptop has a AMD K6 cpu.

John

Jan 4, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 5
I think bandwidth would be more of an issue than speed at this point. Is there any way to fix the PCMCIA slot? Having that would make this a lot easier.

Jan 4, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 5
I would fill the HD up with as much music as possible, put on my usb audio, hook it up to my 12vdc power inverter, and cram it under my car seat and wire it into the inputs on my head unit. Put win98 on it, set the shell as winamp, so that you start the car, it powers up, winamp starts playing randomly. But that's just me. My laptop actually fits in the glove box, but is much smaller than the 1200 series you've got there.

I'm not sure if it would work the way you're talking, but perhaps setting the buffer setting for loading the mp3's in your player at a high level might let it pull it through quickly enough not to interrupt the playback?

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 5
***Car Computer NEWB*** <--ME

How do you set the shell as Winamp in Windows 98? Did you rename a shortcut to winamp.exe as explorer.exe?

Jan 5, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
***Car Computer NEWB*** <--ME

How do you set the shell as Winamp in Windows 98? Did you rename a shortcut to winamp.exe as explorer.exe?

ummmm...i'll check it out, i have to dig out win98 first.

there's a tutorial in here about it, but basically replace the lines in boot.ini the say shell = explorer.exe with winamp.exe and then whatever command lines you would use to make winamp automatically start playing

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...22+win98&hl=en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back