A beginner's comparison of Sennheiser HD239 and Yahama HPH-200
Dec 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eulenfalter

New Head-Fier
(using only a MacBook Air M1)
NOT a blind experiment (YET -> will try later)

Hello,

my HPH-200s arrived today, and I'm sharing my first impressions. I have never done a direct comparison of headphones. What I noticed is that there is a risk of confirmation bias and placebo/nocebo effect. You will find and hear what you're expecting, and you might also tend to go down a certain path once you "cast" one headphone as having certain characteristics. I can only say, I would have to take measures to do a true blind test. I'm very confident I certainly will be able to tell the two headphones apart, but I would not be surprised if it would take me more than 30 seconds of listening to some tracks to be able to tell with 100% certainty.

The build quality of both headphones is good. The Sennheisers have slightly nicer matte plastic quality, but the Yamahas are absolutely fine too. The Senns have worse swivel joints (make noises, feel cheaper. The yamahas have nice feeling soft resistance). The head padding of the Senns is softer than the Yamahas' and therefore better. The cable of the Yamahas is stiffer (not as nice to the touch, and will retain unattractive and very annoying bends, huge problem), but much more sturdy, and has an L-plug instead of a massive straight plug (which the Senns have, and that seems like the cable might break there if not taken care of) which is much better. The Senns have a one-sided cable which has its ups, and its downs depending on situation. There is air space between your ear and the loudspeaker area on the Yamahas which gives it a very light feeling, as in less heat and moisture build-up. They don't feel heavy at all even though they are a good deal heavier, but still very light compared to other headphones. I'm impressed with how light and airy they feel. They are equivlanet to the Senns in that regard. The ear cushioning of the Yamahas is stiffer than that of the Senns, but it's a large area so pressure is distributed. The Senns have a faux leather coating that peels off after a short amount of use. The material beneath is acceptable but it then looks worn and needs to be taken care of very much. All in all I like both headphones design-wise very much, a mix of both would be perfect (all the upsides, that is haha).

Sound: This is going to be very subjective and the very first amateurish impressions of a beginner, and I might add more impressions as time goes by. Also see the caveat at the beginning of this post. I have not been "spoilt" by reading too many headphone reviews, so some descriptions I made up myself, and other descriptions may not reflect the same thing that they refer to in the headphones community. So here's my notes (mixing pleasant, unpleasant, and neutral descriptions).

Yamaha HPH-200 <-> Sennheiser HD239
colder <-> warmer
harder <-> softer
brighter <-> more cozy
wider <-> more narrow, limited
more clear <-> also clear, but softer
sharper <-> softer
too sharp <-> just right
mercilessly exposing S-sounds/consonants (sibilance) and other similar sounds in music that then almost hurt my ears like artefacts <-> Senns do not do that
they sound more like real loudspeakers <-> sound more like small speakers, feel limited
you hear a lot of things (i.e. almost more than you want to) <-> certain things "drown" / are so silent you're then not sure if it's the Senns of the Yamahas that give those things the right amount of exposure. Sometimes I prefer the Senns, sometimes the Yamahas depending on track, in that regard
less intimate, more analytical <-> more intimate, more relaxing
unforgiving to mistakes of the musician when recording/creating <-> works with everything
I get the feeling I need to turn up the volume for them to shine/ in order to be able to rate and evaluate my music <-> work at very low volume (I did take into account that they have different impedance ratings)

CAVEAT: A LOT OF THIS WAS NOT DONE BY BLIND LISTENING. I WILL WRITE MORE LATER. I'm just curious if there is anything to these first impressions that could indeed be true, or if I'm completely making stuff up :)
I was trying to swap the phones as fast as I could and relistened to the same passages.

Update: The more I listen, the more I notice that the Sennheisers put like a "velvet soft veil" around the music without compromising the quality too much (still sounds very clear, though some aspects might go unnoticed), making almost every track sound easy/relaxing to the ears. The Yamaha seems to be superior for some tracks, and the Senns for others, so now I feel like I need to swap headphones all the time :/ Also, in terms of comfort I much prefer the Yamaha because of the air pocket as opposed to the direct contact of the Senns, and regarding the cable, the Yamahas are really getting annoying.

this is an example where the Senns will simply smoothen and round off all the sharp edges, making it relaxing to listen to, whilst the Yamahas will be like little knives torturing your ears, like clipping. I guess my next quest is now to look for (open) headphones that will be more similar to the HD239, but higher quality / wider / fuller sound, and accepting a weight up to around 250-300g.

Edit: I read up on sibilance (which is a term that only refers to the human voice it seems), and it seems that people notice this for example when moving to higher quality phones like the HD600. So this may not be an inherent downside of the Yamahas, I'm not sure, it might even point to their quality. Also people here say it's (also) a recording problem. Nonetheless I'm wondering if there is reason to believe that the HD650s have less of this than the HD600s, as I'm looking to get either.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes sibilance might be the record rather than the transducers. Be it the singer on the day, the microphone, or at the mastering stage the engineer failed to catch everything with the de-esser

No substitute for demo-ing in person. Written words can put emphasis on the differences for a forum post that are bigger than the reality

The HD600 are perhaps "brighter" relative to the HD580 or HD650. Still the 3 Sennheiser staples do not have near the treble peak of Beyerdynamic full sized headphones (for example) that are favoured by some studios. Nor indeed the treble peak of the HD800. This circles back to no substitute for demo. Some might legit consider the HD600 "bright", which tells me that listener prefers dark tonality headphones so I can read their reviews accordingly

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 5
OK, after more time listening, the Yamaha clearly wins. I think it's like when you get a new, better car. You are used to your old one and the new one feels weird and you miss some things and you feel uncomfortable for a while, for example if the steering is super easy you will feel annoyed by it at first. But after a short period of time, when you have spend the last couple of days with same amount of exposure to the old and new car, you will notice the superiority of the new one more and more and no longer prefer what you're used to.

I also can't stress enough that I really like the combination of on-ear (as opposed to over ear) in _combination_ with an air pocket (as opposed to a flat surface. This, plus the low weight, makes it a joy to wear. Feels like nothing. It has also very little acoustic insulation, which I very much prefer.

Also about the cable, even though it is inflexible, I need to applaud them for using a very short cable (ideal for smartphone and laptop use), and adding an extension cable plus 6.35mm adaptor.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 5
After a week of listening exclusively with HPH-200, here's what happened:
- The cushioning of the HPH is somewhat too hard, it could and should be softer.
- Again, the air pocket of these on-ears is so comfortable, hardly any moisture build-up inside the ears.
- really clear sound, sounds high resolution to me.

However :frowning2: ....

More often than not, the treble/sibilance was so hard on my ears, I had to turn down the volume to the point that I could barely hear / listen to the "actual music". The treble sounds were so dominant and piercing/hurtful, i could not longer relax and enjoy. It affects many of my favorite songs.

I did not use my HD239 at all during the week. Just now I was listening to some background/relax new age-y (synthesizer) track, Time Vision / Edelis whilst working, and it was so uncomfortable that I said to myself, enough of this craziness, I'm going to put on my HD 239 again. Note that by the end of this week of testing, I should have gotten used to the HPHs and any accustomization effect should have been gond (in favor of the HPHs).
The track:

And what a relief. The Sennheiser turned listening to that song into a pleasurable experience, and despite the more dense/cramped/limited sound, it was still much more enjoyable. I wished I could combine the pros of both of these headphones into one, that would be perfect. Oh and the foams of the Senns (head and ears) are clearly more comfortable than the HPH's (great softness).

In short, even though the HPHs win in all but but two categories, these two categories are so essential (esp. the treble issue) that will have to move on from the HPHs. An interesting experience, as I now feel that I know exactly what I need to look for in new headphones. I really wanted to like the HPHs, and did and do like them a lot for all their pros, as is apparent in my 24 posting. Too bad. :-/

For anyone reading this thread, don't forget to read this great thread on the HPHs:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yamaha-hph-200-pictures-and-review-updated.640370/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back