A Beautiful Mind
Jan 30, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 13
OK? C'mon... make up your mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 13
I voted "Yes," but now all I'm going to do is complain about it. John Nash's life has been well more than interesting enough for a movie; it makes absolutely no sense that the filmmakers chose to change SO MUCH of it in a blatant play for Oscar votes. Some of what you see in the movie really happened the way it's depicted. Some of what you see in the movie happened, but not in the way it's depicted. And significant portions of John Nash's life and character are left out of the movie altogether. VERY annoying.

Still, if I didn't know they were telling the story of a real man, I would have found the movie interesting. The filmmakers hide behind the excuse "well, it's only inspired by John Nash's life..." but no indication of this is made for the uninformed moviegoer -- they're likely to believe that it is simply a true story. If they had changed the name of the main character to "Bill Jones" or somesuch, I wouldn't have had much of a problem with it.

In any case, I suggest that anyone who's interested in the true story of John Nash read the biography "A Beautiful Mind," (which the movie was supposedly based on). It's a complete and accurate account.

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 13
The funny thing about "A Beautiful Mind" is that while watching it, I was trying to puzzle together what really happened and what was hollywoodized. Which was similar to the feeling John must have had, trying to piece together reality. I hadn't read the biography though so it was hard.

I put yes but the only oscar I would put it up for would be best actor. I thought it was decent but I don't want the DVD or anything, and I don't know that it deserved any Oscars except maybe for Best Actor. Overall as a movie I enjoyed it more than, say, Gladiator (ugh) but it's pretty amazing what Crowe can do.

Feb 25, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 13
I saw "A Beautiful Mind" this past weekend and thought it was very good. I really wanted to see "Collateral Damage", but got to the theater too late so I decided to see this movie instead. It's a little slow in some parts but overall moved along at a good pace. What's up with Jennifer Connelly? This is the second recent movie I've seen her in. Is she trying to make a come back? Anyway, I recommend this movie to everyone except Ai0tron. Just kidding Ai0tron.
biggrin.gif

What was with all the people at the theater this weekend? I went to a matinee showing and the theater was full of people with kids.

Feb 25, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

What's up with Jennifer Connelly? This is the second recent movie I've seen her in. Is she trying to make a come back?

i have absolutely no problem with jennifer connely making a come back. none whatsoever. besides being a good actress, she has a beautiful face and a really nice pair of... erm... eyes!
biggrin.gif

jconnely3.jpg

Feb 25, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 13
This topic was briefly discussed before. If you're interested, see:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=7133

In any case, I'm torn about the movie. I liked it when I watched it but it annoys me terribly now. I won't bother retyping my explanation... it's in the other thread.

Feb 26, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Ooh happyface like... jenn-i-ferrr

Who is this ai0tron you speak of? Oh yes, the face under the mask, the happymask that hides the truth from everyone. The happyface is.. HELP ME LET ME OUT OF He.. SHUT UP, happyface rules now!!!

Muahahaahh MUAHAHAHAHAHHAA I AM HAPPYFACE LORD OF RAINBOWS!!!

Feb 26, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 13
I saw it not long ago and liked it (though I agree that it's disappointing that certain "liberties" were taken with the true story.) I'm in the middle of the book right now, which is excellent.

Dave

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back