A/B Comparisons - iems, buds, cans, daps, and more - Tips & Impressions
Mar 20, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #391 of 396
224. sennheiser hd660s2 (W) vs hifiman arya stealth:

Hd660s2: warmer mids, more sub-bass and bass, more forward mids, sounds more as a whole, more natural.

Arya stealth: cleaner, leaner treble, wider soundstage, more transparent, better background detail, better instrument separation, better layering.

Though the arya is better technically, I did prefer the tuning on the hd660s2 a little more. Probably reflects my changing preference for slightly warmer signatures more than anything.

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #392 of 396
225. sennheiser hd660s2 vs focal utopia 2020 (W):

Hd660s2: tighter bass, more natural, warmer mids, more forward mids.

Utopia 2020: clearer, more transparent, leaner treble, more sub-bass, wider soundstage, better layering, better background detail, better instrument separation, airier.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #393 of 396
226. hifiman arya organic vs focal utopia 2020 (W):

Arya organic: leaner treble, airier, more neutral, sounds more as a whole, more sub-bass, tighter bass, better instrumental, overall leaner, comfier.

Utopia 2020: more transparent, slightly wider soundstage, better imaging, more analog sounding, overall warmer, more forward mids, slightly more natural, better vocals, more height, fuller notes.

These two have quite different signatures and would be a good complementary set.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #394 of 396
As I am leaving the hobby, I want to leave a few tips that I learned through the journey:

1. Buy used. A big part of this hobby is comparing gear to other gear, and you are likely to sell off most of your gear at one time. Save some money by buying used, and sell it on for minimum loss.

2. It’s true that no 2 people hear things in the same way, so it’s always a good thing to try out the gear yourself.

3. A/B comparisons can be very different to comparing from memory. Another reason to try out the gear personally.

4. I think there is a definite sonic hierarchy: iems<cans<speakers. Which one you get will depend on your lifestyle and budget. A good idea to decide before you invest.

5. The order I would change gear (according to their price/ratio performance) is as follows: 1) eartips, 2) iems, 3) DAP, 4) cable.

6. If I had to put a rough percentage that each one affects the overall sound it would be iems 50%, eartips 20%, DAP 20%, cable 10%.

7. Buy something good in the $200-300 range and get accustomed to it. Then go to your local shop and try the totl gear to check if the difference is worth the money.

8. Diminishing returns are a thing from $50 onwards, but start to become terrible around $500 for DAPs and $1000 for iems.

9. Personally, if I’m investing over $2000 I would go straight to speakers.

10. As of spring 2024, I think the best value for totl iems is the monarch mk3. A used u12t or ier-z1r get honorable mentions.

11. Dongles are great value compared to traditional DAPs, but can be flimsy on the go.

12. Neutral is not natural. Most neutral iems lack the bass to sound natural. A case in point: cellos.

13. Orchestral music is a neglected genre for testing, but it tests things like layering, imaging, soundstage, instrument separation, and timbre very well.

14. Every thread has its own hyped gear. Some live up to it, and some don’t, so it’s a good idea to 1) try it out yourself, and 2) ask about the gear in other threads where it’s not so hyped.

15. Bluetooth gear are improving in sonic quality, but they are still not at the level of wired gear.

16. Iems can cause or worsen tinnitus. This is due to high volume, prolonged pressure, and infections caused by dirty tips. Be careful to use iems responsibly.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #395 of 396
And lastly, some impressions of owned/demoed gear:

Abyss AB1266 TC (w/ woo audio wa33 stack) wide soundstage. overall warmer sound. Has clarity, transparency, and air. very natural. good comfort and great technicalities. This would be a very good complement to the lina susvara stack, and to be honest, I prefer the 1266 chain.

Aroma Audio Fei Wan: great air. very wide soundstage but not recessed mids. great transparency and clarity. bass does bleed into mids a little. very headphone like. sparkly treble without sounding harsh. good bass. mids and treble neutral but sounds natural because of the bass. things just sound right. the distance between ears and instruments sounded correct. One of my favorite iems so far.

Austrian Audio Composer One: leaner treble. great clarity and transparency. great soundstage and bass. good technicalities. great imaging and layering. I was very impressed with this set. Also one of the lightest and comfiest totl cans I have experienced, and at a much lower price.

A&K CA1000: a very nice all in one which can be found for a lot less than the hugo 2, while offering competitive performance.

A&K EE Odyssey: I thought the shells were a bit gaudy in photos, but in real life they actually look very pretty.

A&K EE Novus: lots of sub bass, which can obscure other frequencies. good air. smoother treble. wide soundstage. easy to listen tuning. slightly recessed mids. plays great with the sp3000t. I have to admit, a little too much bass for my tastes though.

A&K SP3000T. offers great clarity and soundstage. tube gives good warmth. wider soundstage than the sp3000.

Campfire Audio Andromeda Emerald Sea: still that CA ting but now with muddier bass and more veil than the 2020 version. Shell is nicer though.

Campfire Audio Bonneville: a bit lacking in transparency and clarity, bass a little muddy, and a slight metallic ting in the treble, but it’s pretty good overall for the price. However, the monarch mk3 exists for cheaper, with its better technicalities, timbre and soundstage.

Campfire Audio Supermoon: also has that CA metallic ting; it’s not just a leanness. Good technicals for its price but I can't get over the unnatural tuning.

Campfire Audio Trifecta: the love it or hate it iem. I personally enjoyed it with the sr35, but didn’t like it with other daps. It does have that analog sound, but analog does not always mean more natural. However, I can see how it can be very attractive to those who grew up on analog sounding gear. Looks gorgeous. One of the reasons why it’s so valued imo is because it offers a distinct sound in the totl iem market. Most totl iems tend to have the same referency sound, but this does not.

Canpur CP622B. neutral with good bass. kinda reminds me of the u12t. it’s a good all-rounder but it also means that it's slightly boring. Not a big fan of the name either.

Dita Perpetua: I can see why people think this can be their “one and done” iem.

Empire Ears Legends EVO: great bass of course, but I actually liked the tonality that it had throughout the spectrum.

Empire Ears Odin: leaner treble and mids. good soundstage. good height. Good clarity and transparency. good amount of bass. good imaging and air.

Empire Ears Raven: wider soundstage than odin. slightly smoother treble. a little more bass. a little slower. slightly thicker mids. good air. more laid back. slightly less transparency. recessed mids. I have to admit, the shells (both in gold and in black) seem like such a downgrade from the odin’s.

Elysian Annihilator 2023: Not lacking in bass. Lean treble. Great instrument separation and clarity but the soundstage is intimate and the layering not so good, so it can sometimes feel a little clogged. Great separation of bass from mids. Clarity king. Great treble and transparency. Yes, it does have the best treble that I have heard in iems.

Elysian Diva 2023 A little veiled in comparison to totls. On the lean side. Treble can get sharp. A bit lacking in bass. Lacking in resolution. Feels a little constricted.

FATfreq Grand Maestro: good bass and air. soundstage is wide. good height. neutral with bass boost. The tight bass doesn't bleed into mids. clear and transparent. slightly forward mids. bass is never too much.

Fiio M15s: great reference sound DAP for the price. I am not a particular fan of the volume knob being on the top though.

Fiio M23: not totl sound but great package, much better than the m11s imo. on the warmer side but not much.

Fir audio Rn6: good easy listen but bass bleed into mids. good rumble. a little less analytic than the xe6.

Fir audio Xe6: Lean mids and treble. Good amount of tight sub-bass. But also good rumble. Good transparency and resolution. Good soundstage. Feels expansive. Airy bass doesn't bleed into mids. Great instrument separation. Nothing that sounds wrong.

Focal Stellia (w/ naim atom he): great resolution, clear without being too clinical, and quite airy for a closed back. However, I can see how some pairings might make it too clinical.

Focal Utopia 2022: the price increase isn’t worth it. You can get a used utopia 2020 for a lot less, and the improvements are minor. Some would even call it a sidegrade.

Hidition Violet: Veiled. Leaner treble. Lacking in bass department. Not enough resolution for a totl. Treble can sound harsh. I’m a bit disappointed after the natural tuning of the viento, and technicals are not up to totl standards.

Hifiman EF1000 (w/ susvara): I preferred this to the Lina stack. Makes the susvara more natural and gives it a less lean signature.

Hifiman Susvara: Yes, it can be driven by a hugo 2, diablo, or ca1000, and while it won’t sound as good as with a decent amp, it is still very serviceable.

KEF Ls60: more bass than the ls50s, but mids and treble not that different from the ls50 wireless 2. Isn’t worth the price difference to me.

Lina stack (w/ Susvara): good clarity and transparency, with great technicalities. their aim was to make the stack as uncolored as possible, and I think they did a great job. However, it can be overly analytic with the susvara.

Nightjar Singularity: much sub bass and bass. non offensive treble. clearer than most single dd, but a little lacking in resolution compared to totl iems. makes up for it in tuning. good layering. Iems are light and better fitting than the perpetua. natural overall. good warm mids. This is my favorite single dd.

Noble Audio Nodachi: similar to Ragnar but more bass and a little less transparency. Smoother overall than the Ragnar but still on the lean side.

Noble Audio Ragnar Viking KE: Lean overall, and can be on the sharp side. Wide soundstage. Bass is quite lean. Great instrument separation. Great detail and transparency. Can hear everything. Great female vocals.

Oriolus Monachaa: veiled. Muffled, especially in comparison to singularity. strangely the treble is bright compared to the heavy bass. I’m not a fan of the tuning, and more disappointed because I actually really enjoy the tuning of the traillii.

Oriolus Trailii Ti: wide soundstage as before. more bass. slightly leaner mids. more analytic and less natural. leaner treble. In my opinion, in trying to have a more reference sounding it loses the appeal of the traillii jp, and the silky mids are gone. I actually prefer the traillii jp.

PWaudio First times w/ shielding: This made me a believer in cable rolling. The widening of the soundstage is the most impressive feature imo.

Sennheiser HD660s2: what the 660s should have been. Good amount of bass with the clarity of hd600. Scales great as usual. Could have fooled me that it was a totl can when paired with the tt2 were it not for the resolution.

Sennheiser HE-1: yes, it’s the best. But not because it has overwhelming technicalities. It’s just that everything sounds as it should sound. You hear the music instead of the chain, and that’s the best compliment I could give it. Soundstage is a bit narrow though.

Shanling M9 plus: a bit too heavy for my liking. Also tends to get very hot.

Spirit Torino (w/ Lina stack): a little lacking in transparency. lean treble. slight rumble in the bass. not too much. but a little muddy. lack of clarity for a totl.

Subtronic Storm: Good bass and sub bass: clear with good rumble, about as much as bone conduction iems. Good transparency, clear but not lean, good instrument separation. very airy. good imaging. good throughout the spectrum. good soundstage. bass does not bleed to the mids. This is probably the best of the neutral sounding iems.

T+A Solitaire P (w/ T+A HA200) Good balance throughout and quite neutral overall. A little on the lean side, but not sharp. Good bass but not tight, great instrument separation, average soundstage, great resolution, good transparency, great layering, slightly forward mids. Quite intimate for headphones. I have to admit I prefer the susvaras since it feels a little more transparent. For the price of the chain I really thought I would be blown away, but was not.

Thieaudio Monarch mk3: the wider soundstage is the first thing that you notice compared to the mk2. It also has a good amount of bass.

Unique Melody Multiverse mentor: Great solid bass with a good rumble. It’s not too much and just the right quantity for me. Soundstage is wide, and sound holographic due to height. There is good resolution without sounding lean; it’s a smooth sound overall. Everything sounds natural and music is easy to listen to. Nothing sounds wrong. Good transparency, but not best in class. Great layering and imaging, great background detail.

Unique Melody Mason Soleil: good bass rumble, and quantity. leanish treble. slow. slightly warmish mids, good natural bass. good air and soundstage. To be honest, I did not think it was an upgrade to the Multiverse Mentor, especially considering the price increase.

Vision Ears EXT: Boosted bass with good bass extension. A bit of a mismatch between the bass and leaner treble imo. Bass is also slightly muddy. Not so good instrument separation. Wide soundstage. Not a natural tuning.

Vision Ears VE10: lots of bass and sub bass, probably more than any iem I've heard. As such it tends to overbear everything. good air and height soundstage though.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #396 of 396
And lastly, some impressions of owned/demoed gear:

Abyss AB1266 TC (w/ woo audio wa33 stack) wide soundstage. overall warmer sound. Has clarity, transparency, and air. very natural. good comfort and great technicalities. This would be a very good complement to the lina susvara stack, and to be honest, I prefer the 1266 chain.

Aroma Audio Fei Wan: great air. very wide soundstage but not recessed mids. great transparency and clarity. bass does bleed into mids a little. very headphone like. sparkly treble without sounding harsh. good bass. mids and treble neutral but sounds natural because of the bass. things just sound right. the distance between ears and instruments sounded correct. One of my favorite iems so far.

Austrian Audio Composer One: leaner treble. great clarity and transparency. great soundstage and bass. good technicalities. great imaging and layering. I was very impressed with this set. Also one of the lightest and comfiest totl cans I have experienced, and at a much lower price.

A&K CA1000: a very nice all in one which can be found for a lot less than the hugo 2, while offering competitive performance.

A&K EE Odyssey: I thought the shells were a bit gaudy in photos, but in real life they actually look very pretty.

A&K EE Novus: lots of sub bass, which can obscure other frequencies. good air. smoother treble. wide soundstage. easy to listen tuning. slightly recessed mids. plays great with the sp3000t. I have to admit, a little too much bass for my tastes though.

A&K SP3000T. offers great clarity and soundstage. tube gives good warmth. wider soundstage than the sp3000.

Campfire Audio Andromeda Emerald Sea: still that CA ting but now with muddier bass and more veil than the 2020 version. Shell is nicer though.

Campfire Audio Bonneville: a bit lacking in transparency and clarity, bass a little muddy, and a slight metallic ting in the treble, but it’s pretty good overall for the price. However, the monarch mk3 exists for cheaper, with its better technicalities, timbre and soundstage.

Campfire Audio Supermoon: also has that CA metallic ting; it’s not just a leanness. Good technicals for its price but I can't get over the unnatural tuning.

Campfire Audio Trifecta: the love it or hate it iem. I personally enjoyed it with the sr35, but didn’t like it with other daps. It does have that analog sound, but analog does not always mean more natural. However, I can see how it can be very attractive to those who grew up on analog sounding gear. Looks gorgeous. One of the reasons why it’s so valued imo is because it offers a distinct sound in the totl iem market. Most totl iems tend to have the same referency sound, but this does not.

Canpur CP622B. neutral with good bass. kinda reminds me of the u12t. it’s a good all-rounder but it also means that it's slightly boring. Not a big fan of the name either.

Dita Perpetua: I can see why people think this can be their “one and done” iem.

Empire Ears Legends EVO: great bass of course, but I actually liked the tonality that it had throughout the spectrum.

Empire Ears Odin: leaner treble and mids. good soundstage. good height. Good clarity and transparency. good amount of bass. good imaging and air.

Empire Ears Raven: wider soundstage than odin. slightly smoother treble. a little more bass. a little slower. slightly thicker mids. good air. more laid back. slightly less transparency. recessed mids. I have to admit, the shells (both in gold and in black) seem like such a downgrade from the odin’s.

Elysian Annihilator 2023: Not lacking in bass. Lean treble. Great instrument separation and clarity but the soundstage is intimate and the layering not so good, so it can sometimes feel a little clogged. Great separation of bass from mids. Clarity king. Great treble and transparency. Yes, it does have the best treble that I have heard in iems.

Elysian Diva 2023 A little veiled in comparison to totls. On the lean side. Treble can get sharp. A bit lacking in bass. Lacking in resolution. Feels a little constricted.

FATfreq Grand Maestro: good bass and air. soundstage is wide. good height. neutral with bass boost. The tight bass doesn't bleed into mids. clear and transparent. slightly forward mids. bass is never too much.

Fiio M15s: great reference sound DAP for the price. I am not a particular fan of the volume knob being on the top though.

Fiio M23: not totl sound but great package, much better than the m11s imo. on the warmer side but not much.

Fir audio Rn6: good easy listen but bass bleed into mids. good rumble. a little less analytic than the xe6.

Fir audio Xe6: Lean mids and treble. Good amount of tight sub-bass. But also good rumble. Good transparency and resolution. Good soundstage. Feels expansive. Airy bass doesn't bleed into mids. Great instrument separation. Nothing that sounds wrong.

Focal Stellia (w/ naim atom he): great resolution, clear without being too clinical, and quite airy for a closed back. However, I can see how some pairings might make it too clinical.

Focal Utopia 2022: the price increase isn’t worth it. You can get a used utopia 2020 for a lot less, and the improvements are minor. Some would even call it a sidegrade.

Hidition Violet: Veiled. Leaner treble. Lacking in bass department. Not enough resolution for a totl. Treble can sound harsh. I’m a bit disappointed after the natural tuning of the viento, and technicals are not up to totl standards.

Hifiman EF1000 (w/ susvara): I preferred this to the Lina stack. Makes the susvara more natural and gives it a less lean signature.

Hifiman Susvara: Yes, it can be driven by a hugo 2, diablo, or ca1000, and while it won’t sound as good as with a decent amp, it is still very serviceable.

KEF Ls60: more bass than the ls50s, but mids and treble not that different from the ls50 wireless 2. Isn’t worth the price difference to me.

Lina stack (w/ Susvara): good clarity and transparency, with great technicalities. their aim was to make the stack as uncolored as possible, and I think they did a great job. However, it can be overly analytic with the susvara.

Nightjar Singularity: much sub bass and bass. non offensive treble. clearer than most single dd, but a little lacking in resolution compared to totl iems. makes up for it in tuning. good layering. Iems are light and better fitting than the perpetua. natural overall. good warm mids. This is my favorite single dd.

Noble Audio Nodachi: similar to Ragnar but more bass and a little less transparency. Smoother overall than the Ragnar but still on the lean side.

Noble Audio Ragnar Viking KE: Lean overall, and can be on the sharp side. Wide soundstage. Bass is quite lean. Great instrument separation. Great detail and transparency. Can hear everything. Great female vocals.

Oriolus Monachaa: veiled. Muffled, especially in comparison to singularity. strangely the treble is bright compared to the heavy bass. I’m not a fan of the tuning, and more disappointed because I actually really enjoy the tuning of the traillii.

Oriolus Trailii Ti: wide soundstage as before. more bass. slightly leaner mids. more analytic and less natural. leaner treble. In my opinion, in trying to have a more reference sounding it loses the appeal of the traillii jp, and the silky mids are gone. I actually prefer the traillii jp.

PWaudio First times w/ shielding: This made me a believer in cable rolling. The widening of the soundstage is the most impressive feature imo.

Sennheiser HD660s2: what the 660s should have been. Good amount of bass with the clarity of hd600. Scales great as usual. Could have fooled me that it was a totl can when paired with the tt2 were it not for the resolution.

Sennheiser HE-1: yes, it’s the best. But not because it has overwhelming technicalities. It’s just that everything sounds as it should sound. You hear the music instead of the chain, and that’s the best compliment I could give it. Soundstage is a bit narrow though.

Shanling M9 plus: a bit too heavy for my liking. Also tends to get very hot.

Spirit Torino (w/ Lina stack): a little lacking in transparency. lean treble. slight rumble in the bass. not too much. but a little muddy. lack of clarity for a totl.

Subtronic Storm: Good bass and sub bass: clear with good rumble, about as much as bone conduction iems. Good transparency, clear but not lean, good instrument separation. very airy. good imaging. good throughout the spectrum. good soundstage. bass does not bleed to the mids. This is probably the best of the neutral sounding iems.

T+A Solitaire P (w/ T+A HA200) Good balance throughout and quite neutral overall. A little on the lean side, but not sharp. Good bass but not tight, great instrument separation, average soundstage, great resolution, good transparency, great layering, slightly forward mids. Quite intimate for headphones. I have to admit I prefer the susvaras since it feels a little more transparent. For the price of the chain I really thought I would be blown away, but was not.

Thieaudio Monarch mk3: the wider soundstage is the first thing that you notice compared to the mk2. It also has a good amount of bass.

Unique Melody Multiverse mentor: Great solid bass with a good rumble. It’s not too much and just the right quantity for me. Soundstage is wide, and sound holographic due to height. There is good resolution without sounding lean; it’s a smooth sound overall. Everything sounds natural and music is easy to listen to. Nothing sounds wrong. Good transparency, but not best in class. Great layering and imaging, great background detail.

Unique Melody Mason Soleil: good bass rumble, and quantity. leanish treble. slow. slightly warmish mids, good natural bass. good air and soundstage. To be honest, I did not think it was an upgrade to the Multiverse Mentor, especially considering the price increase.

Vision Ears EXT: Boosted bass with good bass extension. A bit of a mismatch between the bass and leaner treble imo. Bass is also slightly muddy. Not so good instrument separation. Wide soundstage. Not a natural tuning.

Vision Ears VE10: lots of bass and sub bass, probably more than any iem I've heard. As such it tends to overbear everything. good air and height soundstage though.
Kudos to you kind sir for the great direct and to the point write ups for so many totl items. Godspeed in your future endeavors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back