A/B Comparisons - iems, buds, cans, daps, and more - Tips & Impressions
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #346 of 396
196. chord hugo 2 (W) vs shangling m9+:

Hugo 2: wider soundstage, airier, slightly leaner treble, tighter bass, more expansive, better bass/mids/treble balance, better layering, better background detail, 6.3mm

M9+: slightly more bass, smoother mids, more forward mids, 4.4mm.

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #347 of 396
197. ifi diablo (W) vs chord hugo 2:

Diablo: fuller notes, wider soundstage, smoother mids, more bass, better layering, more natural, 4.4mm, but the usb input is horrible.

Hugo 2: slightly more transparent, sharper treble, better background detail, tighter bass, better instrument separation, slightly more forward mids, but uses micro-usb.

I used 6.3mm for the comparison.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #348 of 396
198. empire ears legend evo (W) vs empire ears odyssey:

Legend evo: wider soundstage, airier, more bass, more expansive, more height, smoother mids.

Odyssey: tighter bass, slightly more forward mids, leaner treble.

The two have very similar tuning. I did prefer the warmer mids of the legend evo, though.

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #349 of 396
198. empire ears legend evo (W) vs empire ears odyssey:

Legend evo: wider soundstage, airier, more bass, more expansive, more height, smoother mids.

Odyssey: tighter bass, slightly more forward mids, leaner treble.

The two have very similar tuning. I did prefer the warmer mids of the legend evo, though.
Interesting take! I sort of heard them as the reverse of what you said e.g. EVO had tighter bass, more forward mids etc and Odyssey had wider stage and smoother mids. What source were you using?

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #350 of 396
Interesting take! I sort of heard them as the reverse of what you said e.g. EVO had tighter bass, more forward mids etc and Odyssey had wider stage and smoother mids. What source were you using?
tbh it's been a while since i've compared these (i write it down and upload it way later) and can't remember, but I think it was the dx320 i was using at that time.
whatever it was, i normally use a neutralish dap for iem comparisons, mostly a&k daps, though it might also have been something like the diablo or ca1000, since i remember i owned these at the time.
i actually thought the odyssey was going to win in the soundstage department when I heard them separately, but sometimes ABing them leads me to conclude otherwise.
i actually also prefer a neutralish signature, but again, when ABing them the one i thought i'd prefer is not the one i actually prefer on the day.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #351 of 396
tbh it's been a while since i've compared these (i write it down and upload it way later) and can't remember, but I think it was the dx320 i was using at that time.
whatever it was, i normally use a neutralish dap for iem comparisons, mostly a&k daps, though it might also have been something like the diablo or ca1000, since i remember i owned these at the time.
i actually thought the odyssey was going to win in the soundstage department when I heard them separately, but sometimes ABing them leads me to conclude otherwise.
i actually also prefer a neutralish signature, but again, when ABing them the one i thought i'd prefer is not the one i actually prefer on the day.
I see, I don’t know how our perceptions deviate so much then! I owned them together for a month or so. Goes to show how differently we all can hear things

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #354 of 396
200. fiio fd11 (W) vs moondrop chu 2:

Fd11: more sub-bass, clearer, slightly more transparent, wider soundstage, more bass, airier, more holographic, better layering, more height, more natural, fuller notes.

chu 2: leaner mids, leaner treble, more forward mids, clearer background detail.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #355 of 396
201. fiio k9 ess (W) vs ibasso dx320 w/ amp11:

K9: slightly wider soundstage, leaner treble, slightly clearer, better instrument separation, airier.

Dx320: more bass, slightly more natural, warmer mids.

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #356 of 396
this is one of my favorite topics on here (actually probably one of my favorite audio resources of any type)

short and sweet comparisons with no fluff or whatever which is exactly how i do it but you do it even more succinctly

im not even interested in most of the stuff being compared here but so happy i found it (was looking for stuff on the chaccone)

thanks so much for running with this!

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #357 of 396
this is one of my favorite topics on here (actually probably one of my favorite audio resources of any type)

short and sweet comparisons with no fluff or whatever which is exactly how i do it but you do it even more succinctly

im not even interested in most of the stuff being compared here but so happy i found it (was looking for stuff on the chaccone)

thanks so much for running with this!
thanks! glad to be of some service! ^^

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #358 of 396
202. fiio k9 ess vs fiio ka13 (W):

With iems, the difference in power does not really factor into the equation, and while the k9 obviously has the technical chops (wider soundstage, clearer, airier), I actually preferred the warmer sound of the ka13. The common critique of the k9 ess has been that it can sound too lean, and I also find that to be the case.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #359 of 396
Can't believe the work you put in here. Good job. I've just ordered a ka13 to pair with my s23 ultra, and to replace a Fiio M11s dap that I bought but found too bulky.

What do you think the sound quality comparison would be between the m11s and the ka13 please? I have cheaper headphones at the moment, Fostex T60RP, SHP9500 and some 7hz zeros. I plan to get some better headphones I'm the future when budget allows.

I would love your view on how a dedicated upper mid range dap like the m11s compares to the mid range dongle ka13.

Thank you.

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #360 of 396
Can't believe the work you put in here. Good job. I've just ordered a ka13 to pair with my s23 ultra, and to replace a Fiio M11s dap that I bought but found too bulky.

What do you think the sound quality comparison would be between the m11s and the ka13 please? I have cheaper headphones at the moment, Fostex T60RP, SHP9500 and some 7hz zeros. I plan to get some better headphones I'm the future when budget allows.

I would love your view on how a dedicated upper mid range dap like the m11s compares to the mid range dongle ka13.

Thank you.
Thanks for the encouragement!
As for the comparison between the m11s and the ka13, you're probably not going to see much of a downgrade.
The power output is not that different (the ka13 packs quite a high output for a dongle), and the es9038 of the m11s and the cs43131 of the ka13 are comparable in quality.
From experience, I used my mulitverse mentor on the two devices (that I owned at the time but strangely did not do a comparison of), and I remember thinking that there wasn't much of a difference.
I'm sure that if I AB'd them, there would have been minute differences (the ka13 likely to be a little warmed because of the dac), but I'm also sure the differences would not have been huge.
Of course, as you get better (and likely more power hungry) headphones, you are going to want more power than the ka13.
Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back