_
May 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 9
  I was going to buy the K550 before the K553 started to drop on MD. I've read that there's been some minor tuning to the drivers, different earpads that are hard at first but break in after time, and a different headband cushion. There's been lots of complaints about the headband padding, so I'm just wondering how much better the K550 is in that aspect. If there is quite a noticeable difference, I may just spend 15-20 extra to buy the K550.

Thanks for your help 

it depends on you but i would get the full package

May 4, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Bought the K550's since launch and are holding up well re build. Sorry cant help with a comparison to the K553. The 550,s are great when amped. A bit loose on my noggin though but with a bit of bending can get a decent clamp. 

May 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 9
  Bought the K550's since launch and are holding up well re build. Sorry cant help with a comparison to the K553. The 550,s are great when amped. A bit loose on my noggin though but with a bit of bending can get a decent clamp. 

well u understand the flaws so just go with what you feel
wink_face.gif

May 4, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 9
I have found a fairly easy and cheap solution to improve the K550's clamping force without replacing the original pads. I noticed a while ago that there's a loose plastic ring inside both pads and I lifted the both rings up and wrapped some velcro tape between the ring and the driver. In my opinion this improved both the soundstage and the clamping force (see my Avatar). Hopefully this might help some of you.

May 6, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 9
  Now that is clever! Thanks for sharing. Will give it a whirl!!

No problem! In my opinion this simple mod improved their sealing significantly and made the soundstage a lot more balanced and pleasant to listen to. The overall thinness is gone and now even the previously lacking lower frequencies are pronounced and made the bass both deeper and stronger. Personally I think that now these sound a lot more like AKG has designed them to be in first place. The main problem with these has always been the bad sealing caused by a low clamping force which is in general a more than critical requirement to closed-back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back