Dec 17, 2014 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Minstrel59

Head-Fier
Very interested to read your opinions on headphones or in-ears suited to low volume listening (as I have an intolerance to sound):-

Using an iPod Nano Gen 6 with no amplification.

For playback of vocals and acoustic music.

Fantastic clarity would probably be the most important attribute of a headphone for enhancing the enjoyment of my (enforced low volume) listening.

Neutral as possible; however I've got a feeling a slight boost in the bass and treble may helpful for greater clarity/coherence/intelligibility at quiet volumes.

Cautious of treble though because "clanking plates" and "people coughing/shouting" and "splashing water" type frequencies are very painful even at modest levels.

For this reason I think a soft treble would be helpful in avoiding shrillness/hardness/'graininess' (is that an actual word?) which would be painful to hear.

1)   Have you found a particular headphone that suits being played at extremely low level?  i.e. played 'loud' enough to hear and keep the hearing system exercised and working but not enough to cause ear pain?

2)  How about in-ear monitors?  Has anyone had any success (i.e. sound good to you and without being painful) with these?

3)  Have you found anything helpful in improving the condition (i.e. increasing sound tolerance)?

"Happy Holidays"  
smile.gif
  everyone!

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Interesting questions..

The best thing for you is isolation from outside sounds as you listen, so that your music needn't compete with them. This is different from noise cancelling and just means a physical barrier is there, such as an eartip.

When listening at very low levels, you should realise that our perception of bass frequencies is greatly reduced so that things might sound 'bass light'.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but a reasonable suggestion is the Shure Se112 for under £50 - great isolation, a slightly warm presentation with a treble roll-off at the top (treble is cut), which leaves the midrange free to impress.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your very kind reply Steve.  Please note that I will now delete this thread (title) as far as I can.  I have done the same with the thread title 'sensitivity to sound'.

Just to explain I made 3 identical threads with 3 different titles but the same content in the body of the threads.

I've now realised it was a bad idea and could potentially waste people's time understandably clicking on the same letter 3 times!  It was to increase the chances of it being seen that was all as the condition has 3 different names!

The thread is now only 1 and is titled 'Hyperacusis (Sound Intolerance), Sensitivity to Sound'

Thanks again Steve.  Now back to the interesting stuff.  If you were to choose any if the Shure SE in-ears which would suit my application best?

i.e.
Ultra low volume listening while maintaining
...as much clarity as possible
...and as neutral as possible

Cheers Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back