6G ipod line out dock cable
Oct 9, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malek Taus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What line out dock is good to use with a iPod Classic and Corda Move combo, Jumbo Cryo Dock or Super Cotton Dock.

I'm new to this kind of stuff.

Does it depend on what kind of music you listen too?

Hey Malek,

Either of these will do. Both use the same Canare Mini plug. It’s hard to explain the 2 as what you hear can and will be different from what I might hear but you really cannot go wrong with them, they are my best sounding ipod cables. I prefer the Jumbo Cryo dock because I like the nice mid range.

Cheers,

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 11, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ken,
I have a Qables Silvercab 15" LOD and I love it.
He is now making Goldcab, which supposedly has the SQ of silver but the flexibility of copper, and it won't oxidize obviously.
Have you thought about making a gold cable?
If so, I might be interested in one for my 6G.

Hi,

Yes, in fact I have acquired a gold plating tank and I am currently plating my silver wire with 24K gold. I am going to release a line of silver cables that have been plated with 24k gold. The equipment I have bought will also allow me to plate with Rhodium as well as plate connectors. So I am excited about the new gear.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Yes, in fact I have acquired a gold plating tank and I am currently plating my silver wire with 24K gold. I am going to release a line of silver cables that have been plated with 24k gold. The equipment I have bought will also allow me to plate with Rhodium as well as plate connectors. So I am excited about the new gear.

ken

Hi Ken,
That's great news. But that's not what I meant exactly. I mean solid core gold. The price of a 6" Qables Goldcab dock is $307.00. Not exactly cheap!! But it comes with a certificate of authenticity from the place he gets them made and tempered, with a piece of wire on the certificate, certifying it's 99.99% pure gold, 0.5mm. He also says he has to twist them by hand for some reason, can't use a machine to do it.
So will you be offering anything like this in the future?

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Hi Ken,
That's great news. But that's not what I meant exactly. I mean solid core gold. The price of a 6" Qables Goldcab dock is $307.00. Not exactly cheap!! But it comes with a certificate of authenticity from the place he gets them made and tempered, with a piece of wire on the certificate, certifying it's 99.99% pure gold, 0.5mm. He also says he has to twist them by hand for some reason, can't use a machine to do it.
So will you be offering anything like this in the future?

Yes I sold a limited edition iMod cable a while back that was a solid core cable that I pushed through a silk tube. I have enough gold left to make a few more cables still. The ones I sold were $185 if I remember correctly. I do not have any plans to re visit the solid gold core cable however. The Gold was expensive and I think its does not hold up as well to bending as silver does. The gold did give a nice warm sound though and it was fun to experiment with different gauges and its always fun to try various metals.

I have more hope for the electroplating which does a few things, prevents tarnishing of the silver and adds a nice accent to the sound.

Ken

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

The Gold was expensive and I think its does not hold up as well to bending as silver does.

That's interesting. Hans from Qables says exactly the opposite. Gold is supposed to be very maleable, therefore it bends as good as copper. Solid core silver is the one that suposedly breaks pretty easily. But the gold has to be temperred or annealed properly, from what I read. I imagine if it's not, then it might snap. But gold is a soft metal, so I can't imagine it breaking, especially if you're using many strands twisted around eachother.

But what do I know, I don't make cables. I only read what the manufacturers tell me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Please keep us informed when your electroplating project is done.

Oct 14, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

That's interesting. Hans from Qables says exactly the opposite. Gold is supposed to be very maleable, therefore it bends as good as copper. Solid core silver is the one that suposedly breaks pretty easily. But the gold has to be temperred or annealed properly, from what I read. I imagine if it's not, then it might snap. But gold is a soft metal, so I can't imagine it breaking, especially if you're using many strands twisted around eachother.

But what do I know, I don't make cables. I only read what the manufacturers tell me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Please keep us informed when your electroplating project is done.

You might be right IpodPJ but I am just speaking from my own tests in house. I am no metallurgists but do take care to do a lot of testing, listening and other what if I do this and that to see what happens kind of thing.

kb

kb

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Hey Malek,

Either of these will do. Both use the same Canare Mini plug. It’s hard to explain the 2 as what you hear can and will be different from what I might hear but you really cannot go wrong with them, they are my best sounding ipod cables. I prefer the Jumbo Cryo dock because I like the nice mid range.

Cheers,

Ken

Ah ok i haved ordered Jumbo Cry Dock and it has been shipped thanks

I just hope that the plug isn't to big for Corda Move

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't. I have plugged two Canare F12 plugs into my own before.

Ah ok
biggrin.gif

EDIT: 10-22-2007

I got mine today and it fits perfectly thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Time to spend some money on headphones.

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ken,
Small question:
Do your older "Cotton Dock" cables work on 6g ipods?

ive been toying with the idea of buying a new ipod 160g but i dont want to invest in a new cable...

Yes, these were made for a stock ipod and they work great for the 6G.

Cheers

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back