~$600 Closed Over ear with Neutral Sound & Good Build
Mar 26, 2016 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TadCat

New Head-Fier
Hello! I think the title says most of it, but i'm looking for closed over ear headphones at about $600 (no more than $700) and need a bit of help finding some with Neutral sound signatures. I've been reading around quite a bit and it just seems like everything has a warmer sound, which i don't care for too much. If it helps at all, I've found that i enjoy the balance of the Hifiman re-600 in ears more than anything else i've heard yet, but the build quality is rather poor and i just don't like in ears much. I also like the balance of audio technica's m70, and I love my oppo pm-3s, but there is something missing in the treble that is really urking me. Headphones i have heard and not liked at all are the sennheiser hd600 & hd650. My concerns and priorities for the headphones are as follws:

1. Build Quality (I don't want anything that feels cheap, will break, or won't last long. If i feel like i have to be super careful, like my re-600s, then it ruins the listening experience.

2. Neutral sound signature (I dont like extra warmth or mid bass humps or "thick" sounding headphones. If anything, i prefer a slightly brighter sound, but sub bass extension is a must)

3. Comfort (I don't want something that hurts, but i like a high clamping force, like the oppo pm-3s or sennheiser momentums. Generally, i prefer leather and don't care about warm ears or anything like that)

4. Soundstage (I just don't like congested sounding music)

In general, i listen to a lot of music with vocals and acoustic instruments, so realistic sound is preferable.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help me out, even a general suggestion would be appreciated and if any more information is needed to make a helpful recommendation, i will be happy to share!

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 11
Why do you want it closed - especially when looking for a wide soundstage? Do you have a DAC/AMP or should this be included in the price as well?
If you have the right equipment the higher-range Hifiman line-up might be what you're looking for. HE560 is currently selling for 600 USD on amazon.
I don't think AKG goes quite up to that price level but their sound signature is usually on the bright side, and their higher-end models tick the other boxes as well.
Final audio design headphones can be a bit hard to find, but they're mostly closed models which can perform both in terms of looks/build and sound. Usually quite easy to drive too.

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 11
  Why do you want it closed - especially when looking for a wide soundstage? Do you have a DAC/AMP or should this be included in the price as well?
If you have the right equipment the higher-range Hifiman line-up might be what you're looking for. HE560 is currently selling for 600 USD on amazon.
I don't think AKG goes quite up to that price level but their sound signature is usually on the bright side, and their higher-end models tick the other boxes as well.
Final audio design headphones can be a bit hard to find, but they're mostly closed models which can perform both in terms of looks/build and sound. Usually quite easy to drive too.

sorry, I forgot to mention these will be for use around my university campus, so i'd prefer closed back because it's noisy and i don't want to bother everyone. And yes, the DAC/Amp will be a leckerton uha-6s mkii. I've never heard the he560, but from what i've read that is almost certainly the sound i'm looking for, but probably too large to carry around and they're open back. I have been snooping around for information regarding the FAD lineup but it seems there isn't really a clear consensus about how it compares, tonally, to any headphones i'm familiar with, and also there's nowhere to audition them nearby. I also can't find much on the less expensive Sonorous IV. I haven't looked into AKG yet, but I'll go look through their lineup and do some research!

Try to find a pair of Mad Dog Pros or Alpha Dogs on the market.

Once again, my bad for not mentioning the portability thing. i think the alpha dogs do everything i need as well, but they seem too large to carry around. I have a reasonably large pack that i carry around campus, but i don't think it's large enough for the alpha dogs or the lcd-xc or things that don't fold flat. Of course, if no better options arise portability will be the first requirement to go!

My searches have led me to the audeze el-8 closed back, because they fold flat, are closed back, and from reviews they seem to have a brighter, more open sound than my pm-3s which is basically what i'm looking for. Also, regarding my own concern with soundstage, i don't necessarily need a huge open-back style soundstage, but just enough to not feel like the music is horribly congested.

Thanks for the help so far guys! 

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 11
I was going to say the el8 which you are already looking at, i have heard them described as a mini lcdx. If true they will suit your taste. I hope i get a chance to hear them eventually. The typical house audeze sound is not for you, but to my ear the lcdx did not have that. In turn if properly described then you should like the el8.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 11
I was going to say the el8 which you are already looking at, i have heard them described as a mini lcdx. If true they will suit your taste. I hope i get a chance to hear them eventually. The typical house audeze sound is not for you, but to my ear the lcdx did not have that. In turn if properly described then you should like the el8.

Almost exactly my thought process. I only have reservations because some people seem to be pretty hard on the treble of the el-8, its hard to tell if this is the fans of the audeze lcd-2/3 (both of which i'm certain i would not like) or people with tastes similar to mine. Also, razordogaudio seems to be selling the el-8 lightly used for $550. Is razordogaudio a good place to buy from or should i be careful?

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 11
​Although considerably below your budget, I'd recommend the Audio-Technica MSR7. Deep, very clean bass, immensely detailed mids and sparkly treble. Build is very nice.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 11
  Almost exactly my thought process. I only have reservations because some people seem to be pretty hard on the treble of the el-8, its hard to tell if this is the fans of the audeze lcd-2/3 (both of which i'm certain i would not like) or people with tastes similar to mine. Also, razordogaudio seems to be selling the el-8 lightly used for $550. Is razordogaudio a good place to buy from or should i be careful?

I've heard nothing but great things about Razordog and the guy who runs it but I have no first-hand experience.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 11
  ​Although considerably below your budget, I'd recommend the Audio-Technica MSR7. Deep, very clean bass, immensely detailed mids and sparkly treble. Build is very nice.

below budget is always welcome 
beerchug.gif
 i'll look into it, i liked the balance of the audio technica m70x, so if it has a similar sound that might be good for me! the m70x just didn't quite fit right to get a good seal for me and the build felt a little flimsy.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 11
The professional reviewers who i read on the el8 were not very hard on the treble, but they also did not describe it as perfect either. I heard the lcdx on the headamp gsxmkii which i have seen described as a bright and i did not have any issue with the treble on that combination. I did hear that the closed version of the el8 is not kind to poor quality material. It might also have some resonances but Idk if any closed can is free of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back