~500USD headphone amps
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

escknx

100+ Head-Fier
Particularly I'm considering Little DOT MK 3 full tube amp, its little sister integrated Little DOT MK 2 and solid state Audeze Deckard.
Not quite interested in DAC part of Audeze, but solely from AMP part. Anyone has an experience with these?
Will DOTs give me nice warm dark signature which I like, or Audize is hands down winner here?
Want to try these before spending few times more for something like WOO.
They have great reviews on Amazon.

To be used as main amp for driving HD 650, 800, 400i, Beyer Amiron, Focal Elear, Koss ESP950

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 14
To be used as main amp for driving HD 650, 800, 400i, Beyer Amiron, Focal Elear, Koss ESP950

The ESP950 is electrostatic and can only be driven from electrostatic amplification. It comes with the E90 amp, though.

I have not used the amps you mentioned, but for what it's worth, I did drive an Elear, HD 800, HE500, HD 600, etc. with a Chord Mojo DAC/amp.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Yes, but can't I just use preamp before ESP950 power supply?

Also I'm considering Asgard and Valhalla, but from what I've read they more neutral sounding. I'd prefer warmer one.

I really lean towards MK3 or MK2, but just waiting for somebody to tell me I'm wrong and why should I never buy these.

Chord Mojo looks so tiny, light and fragile.. hard ti believe it is really solid device for these cans, but maybe I'm wrong it has great reviews on Amazon. I'm just not interested in DAC all-in-one device.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 14
Yes, but can't I just use preamp before ESP950 power supply?

You "can"...but if it's an amp with electronics, it could alter the sound, among other potential issues.

Chord Mojo looks so tiny, light and fragile.. hard ti believe it is really solid device for these cans, but maybe I'm wrong it has great reviews on Amazon. I'm just not interested in DAC all-in-one device.

Funny thing is, Chord DAC/amps have been run over by tanks without getting a scratch! (YouTube it.) It's "machined from solid aircraft-grade aluminum".

Yeah, sorry I can't help you with your amp decision. (I favor neutral electronics and parametric EQ for full control over the tonal balance.)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 14
Particularly I'm considering Little DOT MK 3 full tube amp, its little sister integrated Little DOT MK 2 and solid state Audeze Deckard.
Not quite interested in DAC part of Audeze, but solely from AMP part. Anyone has an experience with these?
Will DOTs give me nice warm dark signature which I like, or Audize is hands down winner here?
Want to try these before spending few times more for something like WOO.
They have great reviews on Amazon.

Little Dot MkII made Norah Jones sound like she needs to snort chicken soup through my HD600. That's about as warm as it will get, but if you're starting with the HD650 then it should be even warmer. Should make HD800 warmer too.

Lower impedance headphones are a wild card. K701 sounded like a lazy tin can but SR225 was as warm as the HD600. OTL tube amps produce more power at 300ohms than at 32ohms, so the headphone needs to have much higher sensitivity like Grados at 97dB/1mW or higher (also SHP9500S, X2, HE400S, etc) for the lower output to not be a problem.

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 14
I advise you to look into the Feliks Audio Espressivo, you can change the sound to warmer or more neutral with different tubes. It sounds sublime with the HD650 / 800 and Amiron home.

The stock tubes do not make the sound too warm and lush, it is fairly well balanced with a hint of warmth.

Add some cheap Voskhod tubes and it'll become smoother and lusher, add some GE Jan 5670 tubes with adaptors and it becomed very detailed, smooth and wide sounding.

All hand built in Poland I love mine.

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 14
I can't help much but I've heard great things about Feliks Audio products! Especially when it comes to the HD line

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 14
You "can"...but if it's an amp with electronics, it could alter the sound, among other potential issues.

Funny thing is, Chord DAC/amps have been run over by tanks without getting a scratch! (YouTube it.) It's "machined from solid aircraft-grade aluminum".

Yeah, sorry I can't help you with your amp decision. (I favor neutral electronics and parametric EQ for full control over the tonal balance.)
wow.....You are not joking, I just watched the tank running over the Hugo. It did bend it a little bit but still took it like a boss. Thanks for showing me that!

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 14
This one is more impressive. It shows another DAC get completely crushed, while the Chord DAC only gets a bit of dirt on it!

Wow... Chord is build to last.... Speaking of which- @ChordElectronics I didn't see anything in the user manual about "Running over with tank not recommended". I am considering doing the same with our Chord Dave to test its durability to show our customers. Care to comment?

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 14
As far as I see they don't have distributors in the US.
So the only way to order from Poland?
Just have to say the ESP 950's are just a great buy as I got mine for $580 now they are a bit more but just really good.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 14
If you can stretch your budget a bit, there are a couple Feliks Audio Elise amplifiers on the head-fi classifieds right now. I was switching between different solid state amps for a while, and the differences were only perceivable if you really focused on the music. The first time I plugged in my Feliks Audio Elise, the difference was instantly noticeable.

You should be warned, you might go down the rabbit hole of tube rolling :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back