~$500 for 2.0/2.1 speaker system
Mar 12, 2005 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
Here's what I already have:

Computer with heavily modded M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card
Standalone CD player (Cyrus CD7Q)
Gilmore V2-SE headphone/preamp

What I want:

Good sounding speaker system that will hook up to my computer (digital or analog ok), better sounding for music than my current Klipsch ProMedia 5.1.

Pluses (not necessary, but nice):

Expandable to 5.1 when I eventually need/want (afford) something better than Klipsch.

Takes advantage of my standalone cdp and preamp.

Here's what I'm strongly considering:

http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p3s7.html

But can I do better in the $500 price range?

My room dimensions: ~15' x 15'

Listening tastes: Anything and everything

Overkill is better than underkill. I'm not on a fixed budget at all, so if you tell me spending a bit more will net me something spectacular, I'll go for it.

And, please don't include cables/magic tweaks in my budget. I don't believe in them at all, so just keep it to yourself.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 9
The mediadesk is great. But the sub is hard to place, and you cannot listen it
too far away (within 3~5 feet).
If you don't want to bother with the position, you can try the KRK RP5s. They
are everywhere so you can get a listen to them easily.

Mar 13, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 9
I've heard only good things about the mediadesk, so go for it if you have the cash. Another cheaper option is the m-audio studiophile lx4.

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 9
I find it hard to pay that much money for their 8" subwoofer. If you can find any way at all to audition an svs sub or a hsu research sub - or build your own diy sub, you would be getting lots more bang for your buck. I would recommend diy speakers as well, but going with powered studio monitors may suit your decor better, I don't know.

Mar 13, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
Overkill is better than underkill. I'm not on a fixed budget at all, so if you tell me spending a bit more will net me something spectacular, I'll go for it.

I missed this part.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I would suggest you consider the Prodesk system instead the mediadesk due to your room size.
I am using the TA-1P from Truth Audio with a JVC RX-F10. I couldn't be happier. I know this way you cannot use your V2 as the preamp but you get a nice remote from the JVC.(it is so convenient to have a remote.)
It will be very easy to upgrade to a 5.1 or 6.1 system, just add more speakers.
Other choices include the new Dynaudio BM5A, Adam ANF10...etc.

By the way, I don't believe in cables either. But I believe in power conditioning. If you wan to use class D/T amps, you got to have a clean power to feed them. It doesn't need to be expensive, something from powervar or oneAC will do the job. And if you are lucky, you can get them around 30~50 shipped.

Mar 13, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 9
Or DIY
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
Good sounding speaker system that will hook up to my computer (digital or analog ok), better sounding for music than my current Klipsch ProMedia 5.1.

Pluses (not necessary, but nice):

Expandable to 5.1 when I eventually need/want (afford) something better than Klipsch.

Takes advantage of my standalone cdp and preamp.

If you want to use your preamp, how about the TEAC A-L700P Tripath power amp - sleepkyng is selling one for <$100 here. Then you have $400+ for speakers. There are lots of options, particularly if you can raise this to $500+I would replace your sound card with an EMU 0404 if you don't need the USB interface.

Mar 14, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanBates
Bought a pair of NHT M-00 myself. Will let you know how it sounds when i get them

http://www.nhthifi.com/2004/products...=4&ProductID=1

Looking forward to your impressions.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of literature on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back