5.1 adapter/systems for stereo headphones guide.
Jun 9, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
What do I need?
Headphones & a 5.1 adapter. See below for some recommendations.

1. JVC SUDH1
Pros: Can be had below retail. Portable & small. Nice build quality. Supports DTS. the Japanese version has an AC input.

Cons: Eats batteries like crazy.
Not made for hard to drive headphones.

audiocubes.com jvc.com

2. Astro mix amp

Pros: Used DH next gen chip set. Nice selections of inputs including USB. Not as power hungry as the JVC. Mute function. • Balance control allows optimization of game/voice balance (from astrogaming website.

Cons: Must buy a retail. Sellers are limited. No DTS support.

astrogaming.com

Digital 5.1 receivers

Pros: Can be used as a hub. Ample power to drive high OHM headphones. Lots of connections. No recharging.

Cons: Big & bulky. Only entry level receivers to have DH are from harman kardon & Maranazt. Expensive.
harmankardon.com marantz.com
Pioneer 5.1 headphones (no particular model.)

Pros: Can use a second headphone (wired) to get 5.1/DH. Some models support coax. Quality stereo headphone. Portable. Can be had for less then retail.

Cons: Wireless. Have to be within a certain distance for headphones to work.
Audiocubes.com

Hi end 5.1 adapters:

Beyerdynamic Gamezone: 2,000. Retail.
beyerdynamic.com
AKG Hearo 999 Audiospere II: 1,099. Retail. (450.00)
headphone.com
Audio Technica ATH DWL5000 Digital wireless headphone system: 1,149.99. Retail.
audiocubes.com

Other category:
Most, if not all 5.1 digital receivers support simulated SS through headphones. The quality varies from good to bad. Many companies use their own DSP to save money instead of going with the proven DH.
Yamaha's Silent Cinema seems to be the best out of the 'home made' DSP..But I haven't tried JVC/Sony/Denon DSP to compare. I used a Yamaha receiver for 5.1 SS with my 595's.. This was 2 yrs ago. My comparison with the DH might be a bit muddy. From what I remember Yamaha's DSP had great seperation, but lacked DH 3D & up close presentation. DH is also more spacious & is speaker like.
jvc.com sony.com. yamaha.com denon.com.
dolbyheadphone.com

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 10
As a strictly gaming headphone, the tritton ax360 should get 4stars in the 100 or less catagory. With three volume controls you can turn up different drivers to bring out the proper sounds depending on what game you're playing.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 10
No 5.1 headset made the list cause they are not very good for gaming, compared to the others I listed. & & drivers & a fake sub doesn't cut it. You'd be better off getting the Astro's gaming headset, instead.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 10
Thats the reason real headphone makers dont make 5.1 headphones.

May 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 10
What are some examples of digital receivers that have Dolby Headphone? I'm really interested in purchasing a new receiver that's around 300$ just so I can get 5.1 out of my HD555s for gaming and I will add new speakers later once I get the money for that as well.

Thanks for help anyone!

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 10
i personally think my 5.1 Kinyo headphone did better with gaming than the HD650 and K701. while the HD650 and K701 did better with movies, the kinyo simply had better imaging and positioning for gaming. i did not hear better details or anything using the other phones. i haven't tried the 5.1 adapter/systems though.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 10
i game with the pioneer dir800c and i can tell u that the surround sound on them is great, but the build quality is supoer cheap but there worth it just for the base reciever wich has heaphone output jack and dolby headphone 3 switches optical toslink and coaxial and analog input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back