45 tube based amp, comments/opinions ?
Apr 5, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you saying that the 45 doesn't sound like a tube amp at all? Does it have a warm midrange?

This depends on what one's idea of tube amp sound is. For most people tube sound is typified by overly warm lush mids, softened highs, weakened dynamics, and loose sluggish bass. Basically, your everyday 12AX7/6SN7/EL34 sound, best exemplified by Cary. This to me is a bastardization of tube sound, it's crap.

Good tube sound is nothing like that. It is every bit as clean & fast as the best solidstate, but adds much better tonality, soundstaging, and realism. There's no colourations nor excessive warmth, no softening of treble & dynamics, and the bass remains deep, tight, and impactful. This is the sound of a good 45-based amp.

Is the midrange warm? Depends on what one puts in front of it and after it. With an RCA grey glass VT-231, yes, it will be, with an ECC99 or 26 there's only a trace of warmth. Stick a run of the mill output transformer on it and again it will sound rather warm & sluggish, with a good amorphous or cobalt core transformer and once again you're back to the sound of the tube, or rather, whatever tube(s) is in front of the 45.

This assumes of course that the power supply for both the filaments and B+ is up to the task along with the rest of the parts. Put a single electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, even if it's a Blackgate and you will hear it, and it won't be good. You're looking at levels of refinement & resolution which are beyond anything which is commercially available, with the exception of something like a Kondo.

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #47 of 52
Very interesting, Roam. I sure would love to hear what the best of tube amps have to offer, though I also like the blurred warm sound of cheap tube amps. I will try to build a 45-based amp. What do you think of battery-powering the filaments? Would it provide clean sound?

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good tube sound is nothing like that. It is every bit as clean & fast as the best solidstate, but adds much better tonality, soundstaging, and realism. There's no colourations nor excessive warmth, no softening of treble & dynamics, and the bass remains deep, tight, and impactful. This is the sound of a good 45-based amp.

Is the midrange warm? Depends on what one puts in front of it and after it. With an RCA grey glass VT-231, yes, it will be, with an ECC99 or 26 there's only a trace of warmth. Stick a run of the mill output transformer on it and again it will sound rather warm & sluggish, with a good amorphous or cobalt core transformer and once again you're back to the sound of the tube, or rather, whatever tube(s) is in front of the 45.

This assumes of course that the power supply for both the filaments and B+ is up to the task along with the rest of the parts. Put a single electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, even if it's a Blackgate and you will hear it, and it won't be good. You're looking at levels of refinement & resolution which are beyond anything which is commercially available, with the exception of something like a Kondo.

Amen
wink.gif
.... I have been arguing againt the typical tube amp stereotype for a number of years now. The comments that tube amps have overly warm lush mids, softened highs, weakened dynamics, and loose sluggish bass are just not true. My Singlepower amps sound nothing like the stereotype spelled out above, unless, I purposely tube them to sound that way. But why would you? I like a fast, punchy, dynamic sound with a high degree of resolution, clarity and detail. I want lifelike; not stereotypical tubelike.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #50 of 52
Way off topic, but I misread the title to mean 45 tubes... as in number of tubes. I was thinking, "Hey, 45 is way more that 13... the nerve!"
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #52 of 52
Sorry to revive the thread but I'm also interested in 45 tube amp recs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back