$400 or less Over-Ear Closed Cans! Help!
Mar 4, 2014 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

GOT KILLED???

New Head-Fier
So, this journey has been quite an experience but it can be slightly overwhelming when there are soo many options! (it's a good thing, lol) Btw, I am already aware that open-back headphones have better soundstage and overall sound, but I need closed cans for isolation in a loud home and for frequent public transportation.
DEMO'D = B&W P7 ( I enjoyed them a lot, a little pricey, though), M-100 (I was surprised that I did not enjoy these).

LOOKING AT = B&W P7, B&O B6, NAD Viso HP50(Headband looks odd), Denon D600, Focal Spirit Classic, and Momentum.

Style would be a plus as well

BUDGET = $400

SOURCES = Moto G and Windows PC (open to portable amps)

ISOLATION = Need a lot of isolation

PREFERRED HEADPHONE = Over-ear Full-sized; I don't really like on-ears

PAST HP's = Mad Dogs 1st revision (a bit bulky and amp-hungry), AKG K545 (difficult seal/comfort issues), Koss KSC75

PREFERRED MUSIC = Indie, Classical, Rock, Electric (DnB, Techno), Alternative, Latin

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 2
Momentum is somewhat dark sounding. I was impressed with it because Sennheiser succeeded in getting a version of the HD650 sound into a closed model. I thought it did better with classical than the genres you listen toYou probably won't like it because the earcups are small--almost on ear.

I'll make your life "harder" by mentioning one that isn't on your list: SRH840. It's warm and clear and works with your genres. The one I didn't try it with is electronic; for electronic, it's clear and has decent enough bass but it's no bass monster. Build is very durable and isolation is above average. Stock comfort, however, is below average because the headband is hard but it can be modded. So I think it's worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back