~$400 closed PC (SoundBlaster Z) cans - Electronic (+bass), little gaming
Sep 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

johnrl

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I'm looking for a headset for my PC which has really nice bass for electronic music and games. I don't mind a powerful bass that almost vibrates your head - as long as the overall sound is also very good. I don't know much about audio technology and I'm not an audiophile in the common sense, but I know when something doesn't sound good.

I have a Sound Blaster Z sound card which has a built-in 600ohm dedicated headphone amplifier. I guess this means I could drive for example a DT770 Pro 250 ohm without problems from this card (right?).

The only headset I've ever owned is a Sennheiser PC350, but I've grown tired of the lacking bass (though it has excellent characteristics for positional audio). Recently I have tried both the Sony DS6500 and Turtle Beach PX51 wireless headsets, but the Sony sounded awful and I wasn't impressed with the PX51 either. Feeling let down by the top-contenders in wireless gaming headsets, I've now turned to wired music-focused headphones in the hope for better sound.

My requirements are as follows:
- Primary purpose: electronic music (Dance, Trance, Psytrance)
- Secondary purpose: gaming (would like it to be usable with positional audio aka Creative or Razor surround if possible, but not a deal breaker if not)
- Should be compatible (and possible take advantage of) Sound Blaster Z 600ohm built-in amplifier
- Must be closed and around-ear
- Should be usable/comfortable with medium-large ears
- Maximum price ~~$400 (I can accept a bit higher if absolutely necessary)

So far I've cross-referenced a lot of reviews and come up with the following (please advice if I have missed some obvious contenders):
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50s
- Sennheiser Momentum
- V-Moda Crossfade M-100
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 or 250 ohm)
- Shure SRH840
- Sony MDR-1
- Sony MDR-XD1000

However, I have no idea which one to choose, because as I said, I don't know much about this area. From what I could gather it seems the DT770 was really popular in the past, especially for electronic music, but the newer roundups / reviews don't mention them. Have they gone "out of date"?

I'd really appreciate comments and recommendations - preferably based on personal experience.

- Thanks for a great site and forum!

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 3
AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH-A900X
K550 might be a touch better for FPS, the A900X little more warmth for music.
DT770 built a little stronger.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 3
AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH-A900X
K550 might be a touch better for FPS, the A900X little more warmth for music.
DT770 built a little stronger.

+1

Also look at Ultrasone Pro 700 (known for good bass). Ultrasones uses SLogic technology that adds some surround effect. If you want monster (but good) bass, you might also look at the Ultrasone Pro 900.
Soundmagic HP100 have been getting a lot of love on the forum lately for a more neutral phone but with good bass extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back