4.4mm Balanced MMCX Cable for AKG N5005??.
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EazyRyder

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know of a custom 4.4mm Balanced MMCX cable that will fit the AKG N5005s IEMs?

I currently own the AKG N40s and have a variety of custom standard MMCX cables for them, and have recently ordered the N5005s.

I have been reading up on them while waiting for delivery, and just now discovered that they have a non standard MMCX connection.
The Included AKG cables only come with 1 balanced 2.5mm connection.

I want to use the AKG N5005s with my Ibasso DX170 DAP. The Ibasso only has 1 balanced 4.4mm connection.

I know there is the option of an adapter from 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm, but would prefer a custom cable with the right 4.4mm connection.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be great.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 11
Does anyone know of a custom 4.4mm Balanced MMCX cable that will fit the AKG N5005s IEMs?

I currently own the AKG N40s and have a variety of custom standard MMCX cables for them, and have recently ordered the N5005s.

I have been reading up on them while waiting for delivery, and just now discovered that they have a non standard MMCX connection.
The Included AKG cables only come with 1 balanced 2.5mm connection.

I want to use the AKG N5005s with my Ibasso DX170 DAP. The Ibasso only has 1 balanced 4.4mm connection.

I know there is the option of an adapter from 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm, but would prefer a custom cable with the right 4.4mm connection.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be great.
I got this one off Ali express its very nice sounding and great quality build

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221208_093942.jpg
    Screenshot_20221208_093942.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the reply

Never ordered anything from Ali Express.
Was it an easy process?
How long did it take to get to the U.K?
Was there hidden customs fees?
IT generally takes 4 to 6 weeks to turn up, tax is paid at purchase, never paid extra. I have bought many cables and iems from Ali and never had a problem

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 11
IT generally takes 4 to 6 weeks to turn up, tax is paid at purchase, never paid extra. I have bought many cables and iems from Ali and never had a problem
I would have asked the same question, I need to connect the akg to my fiio k9 pro ess dac using the balanced connection.
The original cable with its earhook is moreover very uncomfortable for me to put on.
I tried three cables bought on ebay and aliexpress, no mmcx connector works on the n5005s. The last one even had the option for n5005 and was guaranteed to be perfectly compatible but it wasn't, unbelievable!!!
I cannot find this cable in the picture , could I have a link? Or another cable that definitely can connect to the akg n5005? Not too expensive possibly, thank you so much, any help is greatly appreciated.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 11
I would have asked the same question, I need to connect the akg to my fiio k9 pro ess dac using the balanced connection.
The original cable with its earhook is moreover very uncomfortable for me to put on.
I tried three cables bought on ebay and aliexpress, no mmcx connector works on the n5005s. The last one even had the option for n5005 and was guaranteed to be perfectly compatible but it wasn't, unbelievable!!!
I cannot find this cable in the picture , could I have a link? Or another cable that definitely can connect to the akg n5005? Not too expensive possibly, thank you so much, any help is greatly appreciated.
Sure Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
£85.53
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwY466B

May 4, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Received a day ago and it works perfectly, thanks again for the advice and the link :relaxed:
I received this cable with 4.4mm plug from AliExpress yesterday also for my Sennheiser IE600 which shares the same special MMCX connectors as the AKG N5005 (and the Sennheiser IE900/300/ ...). I got it for 55 EUR and it is really a nice cable which fits perfectly in the IE600-sockets. I did not like the stiff stock cables and had some other 3rd party ones claiming to fit the N5005/IE600/... connectors but they were unstable or not even fitting at all. This one is worth the money - thanks for the link as well.

May 5, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 11
I received this cable with 4.4mm plug from AliExpress yesterday also for my Sennheiser IE600 which shares the same special MMCX connectors as the AKG N5005 (and the Sennheiser IE900/300/ ...). I got it for 55 EUR and it is really a nice cable which fits perfectly in the IE600-sockets. I did not like the stiff stock cables and had some other 3rd party ones claiming to fit the N5005/IE600/... connectors but they were unstable or not even fitting at all. This one is worth the money - thanks for the link as well.
This cable is great, too bad I forgot to ask the seller if he could take off the ear hooks, the plastic ones (without memory wire) like on the AKG are very uncomfortable for me.

May 5, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 11
This cable is great, too bad I forgot to ask the seller if he could take off the ear hooks, the plastic ones (without memory wire) like on the AKG are very uncomfortable for me.
If you really want to get rid of the hooks, you can always cut the heat shrink tubes along their length direction towards the connectors with a very fine scissor (see attached image just for orientation). I did this several times with some other cables for different IEMs (but will not do it with this one... I like the hooks for this cable+IEM).

Of course you have to be extremely careful not to damage the wires and their insulation and you should know what you are doing (I don't take responsibility if you mess up :) ).
cut-rK8o3dB1QCioBMnQDCVXJA.jpg

EDIT: It is wise to follow the direction of the twisted spiral when cutting and cut it only to about a few mm before the connector to keep the inside of the connectors insulated from humidity etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back