32 years old amplifier ?
Jan 14, 2023 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rp1972

New Head-Fier
Hi guys , so I'm kind of newbie on the "hobby" , been rocking with some portable players and IEMs so power and specs aren't usually a concern but lately there's some interesting and inexpensive headphones that I would like to try but I need a desk amplifier and basically I'm resisting to spend more money , meanwhile and today I remember I have a old Technics SU-600 amp storaged for many years and today I decide to connect my Fiio player and a pair of headphones and the sound really impressed me , I don't know if it's because I usually don't listen music very loud but after 1 min I was dancing 😂 and that's not something it happens a lot , volume is very loud ,smooth and powerful but the real question is if it's powerful enough to drive a inexpensive planar like the he400 or let's say the beyerdynamic 990 , generally speaking of hard heaphones to drive.
How can I say looking for the amplifier specs it can play decently a pair of headphones , what numbers should I look on the amplifier and on the headphones to check if that's a happy marriage? Hope there's not many errors since isn't my native language , thanks in advance

Specs of the su-600 on the attachment, ty

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114-222529_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114-222529_Opera.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 5
It reads 470 mV at 330 ohms for headphone out. What that translates to at lower impedance, I don't know.

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi guys , so I'm kind of newbie on the "hobby" , been rocking with some portable players and IEMs so power and specs aren't usually a concern but lately there's some interesting and inexpensive headphones that I would like to try but I need a desk amplifier and basically I'm resisting to spend more money , meanwhile and today I remember I have a old Technics SU-600 amp storaged for many years and today I decide to connect my Fiio player and a pair of headphones and the sound really impressed me , I don't know if it's because I usually don't listen music very loud but after 1 min I was dancing 😂 and that's not something it happens a lot , volume is very loud ,smooth and powerful but the real question is if it's powerful enough to drive a inexpensive planar like the he400 or let's say the beyerdynamic 990 , generally speaking of hard heaphones to drive.
How can I say looking for the amplifier specs it can play decently a pair of headphones , what numbers should I look on the amplifier and on the headphones to check if that's a happy marriage? Hope there's not many errors since isn't my native language , thanks in advance

h
If it had a rating for 4 and 8 ohms you might be able to work it out. But my guess is you'd be able to drive them right off of the speaker taps. It doesn't appear to be real well built, so the caps may not last long.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks , after better thinking I give up the idea , makes no sense , you have a lot of easy to drive headphones with good sound quality
but the best cheap headphone that rivals units to and above $1500 and costs $399 from Adorama needs 4 wpc @ 50 ohms, your receiver might do the trick, and the HE-6 SE v2 crushes any HFM 4**.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back