~$300 Speaker Options
Dec 26, 2009 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FinalSight

New Head-Fier
I was previously looking in the sub $200 range for a set of speakers, but due to some Xmas cash from family (merry christmas / happy holidays to you all btw), I'm upping my order a little bit. Amazon has some sales going, and of course I'll look around for better prices if I can, but the new speakers in my range seem to be:

M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe - $245
Mackie MR5 MR5 Reference Monitor - 2x $159 ~ $320
Yamaha HS 50M - 2x $130 = $260
KRK RP5 - $300

I was really leaning towards the mackie's, but a google search yielded several posts of people saying they preferred the sound of the Yamaha's or of the KRK's. Both of which are cheaper, so this threw me off a bit and now I don't know what I want. Can anyone with a little more experience lend a hand?

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 10
I haven't listened to any of these, but just to make you more confused I'll throw some others out there:

Swan M200MkII
Audioengine | A5 Bookshelf Speakers (Black) | A5B | B&H Photo

Just two more options to muddy it up a bit more for you. I ended up going with Audioengine A2's because I wanted cheaper and smaller, but you have all the usual suspects that people recommended in the same general price range. I think it boils down to what you listen to and which one you find more visually appealing. For example I was really intrigued by the Swan's, but I just don't like the wood look.

I bet you some would say to get something cheaper like the M-Audios and add a sub: Parts-Express.com:*Dayton SUB-80 8" HT Series 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer | Dayton SUB-80 subwoofer sub powered sub SUB-80 home theater 5.1 7.1 surround bass LFE Theaters110308 gifts1117 cyber121 WinningSubwoofers gift2009

I think you should mention what you'll mainly be listening to and those who have auditioned multiple sets can give you better input.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 10
I haven't had a chance to listen to the Mackies (which showed up a lot in my research) but I'm very happy with the KRK G2 Rokit 6"'s that I bought.

From what I've read a lot of the difference between the Mackies and KRK's is just personal preference. I picked the KRK's because they were cheaper and they had been redesign (G2) and I have no regrets.

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Yamaha HS 50M are not very good for music listening.

IMO I thought that the Yamaha's performed very well for music listening.

The clarity of the mids and highs are very accurate. I enjoyed listening to them.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Forget the Swans and the audioengines

Go with the

Mackie MR'5
BX5a

and add the:  JBL2325p and Tapco S'5  to youre list

these monitors are the prpbably best designed monitors with the best parts in their price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back