~300$ Amp recommendation for V-Moda M100s
Nov 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tsubop

New Head-Fier
So six months ago I invested in the V-moda m100s in an attempt to get into the world of higher end audio. I have to say, I'm very happy with the purchase, but I want to get a bit more out of my headphones. I'm looking for an amp that I can use with my laptop to hopefully fix up the mids and generally improve the sound I get out of my m100s. Any suggestions at all are appreciated. Oh, and I'd prefer something under 300 dollars, but something a little bit above that is acceptable too. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 7
If you use iDevices, then for $300 you can get a Sony PHA-1.  However, as mentioned before the new C5D at $250 is also great.  And to just make things more complated, Apple recently removed the need of a license for iPod/iPhone DAC/AMP, so if you have a latest generation of device, then you can just use pretty much any USB enabled DAC/AMP (go read the C5D thread for this.)  Of course you can also get some very nice amp only device for $300.  For instance, you should check out the HeadStage Arrow 3G ($200), 4T ($300), and 4N ($350), or the Pico series from HeadAmp ($350-400).  Remember I am talking about new prices here, so if you search around, I am sure there will be someone selling them for less used.

p.s. my personal reference for the M-100, or pretty much any other headphones, is the AudioQuest DragonFly ($250).  However, it is pretty much just a USB DAC and not much of an amp, so it is pretty much only restructed for desktop and laptop use.

p.p.s. almost forgot the insanly configable XM4 ($135), 5 ($245), and 6 ($395) from Pratical Devices...  Crap I just impulse buy a XM6...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back