3 Pin XLR Pinout Question
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ivanrocks321

1000+ Head-Fier
Trying to get a cable made but can't find details on proper pinout. I want to use a 4 pin XLR adapter to a Pair of 3 pin XLR. Would like to use my Hifiman Susavara with my Hugo TT2 using the pair of XLR output from the back of the Chord.

Any help would be great, thanks

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5
The number are marked on the connector, 1G, 2+, 3-

more can be found here

http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2016/02/headphone-connectors-pins-pinouts-for.html
thats what i thought but i got this reply

Hi Ivan,

This will not work. We need a specific point to point wiring diagram. The 3 pin XLR wiring you gave is for standard balanced audio cables with a single XLR at each end, not for wiring two of them into a 4 pin XLR connector.

There are 4 pins on one end of the adapter, and a total of 6 pins on the other... either 2 pins are not going to be used, or they are going to be bridged to other pins. We need to know this before we can quote/build.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 5

Hi Ivan,

This will not work. We need a specific point to point wiring diagram. The 3 pin XLR wiring you gave is for standard balanced audio cables with a single XLR at each end, not for wiring two of them into a 4 pin XLR connector.

There are 4 pins on one end of the adapter, and a total of 6 pins on the other... either 2 pins are not going to be used, or they are going to be bridged to other pins. We need to know this before we can quote/build.
Ah, you are asking a vendor to build it for you. In this case, I can’t help you. You just have to follow the vendor advise. I see no differences in getting XLR 4 into dual XLR 3. But that is just me…all of them should be standard

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 5

Hi Ivan,

Indeed, the 2 ground pins are not used/connected in a normal 2 wire cables.
But if you use branded cables connect the 2 ground pins to the brain shield and will be open in the headphone side, it’s the same technic we use the shield brain in RCA cable.

6F9743F5-0CBF-40C2-A864-F9CE6A5750DB.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back