$3-400 Computer Soundcard??
Jan 29, 2006 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leeg

Head-Fier
Hi,

I just got my Onix SP3 and Ref 1's setup on my desktop. Using Denon 2900 as source, and the sound is excellent. I want to use this setup for computer audio, but I have a cheap card with no digital or analogue outputs. Windows 2000 based computer. I've spent alot recently, so getting an ext. dac is something that I'd like to get eventually, but for now, I'd like a card with exc. sound thru it's analogue outs, but also a good toslink, or even better, BNC jacks for true 75ohm reproduction. I can go upto $3-400. I don't play computer games, or plan on any recording. And I'll use Itunes to play music back as well. Lastly, I have a LaRocca PRII that I'll use for use with my Senn HD650's.

From what I gathered in the archives, the EMU 0404 or 1212 are liked alot. And they're "only" $1 and 200 respectfully. This is my first time looking at a good soundcard, and I'm amazed at the selection: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c703
There's a bunch of choices, much more than what I would've thought.

Anyway, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and sorry if this is a repeated inquiry. But nice to get recent recommendations and thoughts.

Lee

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeg
Hi,

I just got my Onix SP3 and Ref 1's setup on my desktop. Using Denon 2900 as source, and the sound is excellent. I want to use this setup for computer audio, but I have a cheap card with no digital or analogue outputs. Windows 2000 based computer. I've spent alot recently, so getting an ext. dac is something that I'd like to get eventually, but for now, I'd like a card with exc. sound thru it's analogue outs, but also a good toslink, or even better, BNC jacks for true 75ohm reproduction. I can go upto $3-400. I don't play computer games, or plan on any recording. And I'll use Itunes to play music back as well. Lastly, I have a LaRocca PRII that I'll use for use with my Senn HD650's.

From what I gathered in the archives, the EMU 0404 or 1212 are liked alot. And they're "only" $1 and 200 respectfully. This is my first time looking at a good soundcard, and I'm amazed at the selection: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c703
There's a bunch of choices, much more than what I would've thought.

Anyway, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and sorry if this is a repeated inquiry. But nice to get recent recommendations and thoughts.

Lee

Go with the 1212m $200, and a good pair of interconnects $100~.

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Exciting thread I have going on here! LOL

Thanks Asmo for taking the time to answer. That card looks good by the specs, and I think I'll like, from what I've read, the sound of the 1212M.

Thanks

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Asmo, I was about to bit the bullet and order a 1212M, but see in the specs, it doesn't have a toslink optical i/o...which I've read is the best way to connect a dac in the future. Wierd, the 0404 model and the more spendy 1820M both have optical i/o.

Should I still get the 1212m and just use the coax s/pdif or something else??

Thanks,
Lee

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeg
Asmo, I was about to bit the bullet and order a 1212M, but see in the specs, it doesn't have a toslink optical i/o...which I've read is the best way to connect a dac in the future. Wierd, the 0404 model and the more spendy 1820M both have optical i/o.

Should I still get the 1212m and just use the coax s/pdif or something else??

Thanks,
Lee

Mate re-read the specs
smily_headphones1.gif

Digital I/O
S/PDIF:
- 2 in/2 out coaxial (transformer coupled)
- 2 in/2 out optical (software switched at ADAT)
- AES/EBU or S/PDIF format (software selectable)

Feb 4, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 11
O, I was going by sweetwater's website description:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1212M/

E-MU 1212M I/O Configuration:

Two 1/4" Balanced Inputs

24-bit/192kHz ADAT In/Out (switchable to S/PDIF)

24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF In/Out (switchable to AES/EBU)

MIDI In/Out

FireWire Interface

And I didn't know that ADAT is a special Toslink connection. I now understand, the toslink is switchable b/w ADAT and S/PDIF.

Sorry for the confusion.

Lee

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 11
How 'bout getting a Chaintech AV710 for $25 and saving the rest of the money for music? Or a nice fancy dinner?

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Get a M-audio Audiophile 2496 and a older Ack Dack such as this one(I have no afiliation with the seller). Older Ack Dacks also pop up on audiogon in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back