256kbps vs FLAC
Jan 7, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #121 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this fake openmindedness/tolerance amusing.

It's clear that you don't want to have a reasonable discussion, and so I don't want to waste my time any further.

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #122 of 133
There is only one valid advise:
Everyone should find the threshold for himself. If someone believes this is ABX test - do it, if you prefer normal listening - also OK. Don't ever follow other people's suggestions - each one has got different hearing, equipment, music (more or less demanding on compression quality), headphones and the like.
There is always the same argument on many forums - I don't hear - you don't hear, too, or prove you hear. Another problem is that people don't understand that ABX tests are not the best way to judge. While I easily pass LAME 320kb/s vs. lossless test, it's not that easy with the FhG or Blade codec, while it's still easy to describe the sonic differences perceived while prolonged, standard listening, without lot's of switching. Actually, it needs lots of training to properly perform the ABX tests and not to fail. This is the source of Feb's 99%, not that people don't hear and lie. This is a rude accusation, kind of "I don't believe you own the Orpheus - post a picture with yourself standing aside".
All non-believers - stop accusing, start listening. Full midrange reproduction begins in the 320kb/s bitrate of the mp3 format. Try it and believe it.

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #123 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fine, but your statements are going completely against the scientific facts behind audio compression. Use what makes you happy, but don't go around telling others that low-compression MP3s such as 256k and above sound any different to the human ear than a FLAC or any other lossless file.

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by ataraxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This only tells half the story. I would not doubt that many of the mp3s obtained from the internet have been made through mediocre compression methods. There is a world of difference between mp3s compressed through LAME and those that have not. This is not a statement "gong completely against the scientific facts behind audio compression", as not all compression executable files are created equal. There are those that compress efficiently, and those that do it less so. To say that it is impossible to tell the difference between compressed lossy files and compressed lossless files is incorrect.

Yes.I agree.
smily_headphones1.gif
I dont think its the near black and white issue that Aman tries to present.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #124 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the source of Feb's 99%, not that people don't hear and lie. This is a rude accusation, kind of "I don't believe you own the Orpheus - post a picture with yourself standing aside".

Again, you misunderstand or deliberately misconstrue my point. I am not accusing people of lying. (Though there are a fair number of people who simply parrot things that they have read here without ever conducting listening tests for themselves). For the most part, I believe that people are honestly reporting what they have heard. However, there are many explanations for what they hear that, in my view, make their generalized assertions invalid. For example:

--People base their conclusions and their advice on files of questionable origin. "I downloaded a 320kbps file and compared it to .wav, and the difference was night and day. The MP3 sounded like crap." The file is of unknown origin. For all we know, it may have been transcoded from a 64kbps file. These results are not generalizable.

--People base their conclusions on tests that they did with poorly-encoded files. "Back in 1999, I listened to an 128kbps MP3 that I made with MusicMatch, and it was awful. 128kbps MP3s suck." Obviously, the files they are using for their comparison are not representative of all MP3 files.

--People use unconventional encoder settings. "The LAME presets suck. I used these settings that I downloaded from some random website." One very common mistake that I've seen in this regard is people forcing the encoder to use a very high lowpass setting, which forces the encoder to waste bits for inaudible high-frequency sounds rather than using those bits for the midrange frequencies where they are actually needed.

--People make comparisons without volume matching the files. Regardless of our respective positions on ABX testing, etc., we should all be able to agree that differences in volume can be perceived as differences in quality.

--People can be influenced by their expectations when they do sighted-tests. I hate using the word "placebo" because it is so often misused here and carries such a stigma, but expectation biases are real, no matter how much people want to deny them.

Using a good encoder and an ABX utility can eliminate all of these issues. Given that every good ABX utility lets you listen to as much of a song as you want to, as many times as you want to, I believe that your criticisms of the ABX test in this context are unfounded. I believe that if you can't hear a difference between two tracks after listening to the entire track as many times as you'd like to, then no audible difference exists.

I recognize that you don't agree with me, and we can agree to disagree, but please recognize that am I not accusing you or anyone else of lying.

Quote:

All non-believers - stop accusing, start listening. Full midrange reproduction begins in the 320kb/s bitrate of the mp3 format. Try it and believe it.

I have engaged in extensive listening tests, and my results are different from yours. I have found through personal experience that when (a) I use a good encoder, (b) I volume-match files, and (c) I listen under non-sighted conditions, I cannot distinguish differences that I previously believed to exist.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #125 of 133
OK, please let us know those great encoders and settings, I will see if they are really so perfect. I've been using LAME 3.97 lately but still hear the supremacy of the FhG encoder, included in the WMP. I don't use any stupid switches like -k because I agree that people don't understand what's wrong with this - you loose lots of bits to encode unimportant high frequency content. For LAME I tried:
--CBR -b 320 -q 0
--preset insane
--preset extreme
--VBR -V0 -q 0
--VBR -V0 -q 0 -m s
--CBR -b 320 -h
Many others, FhG still better, IMHO FhG 320 > Lame 320 > FhG 256 > Lame -V0 > Lame 256...

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #126 of 133
Try LAME 3.98b5 -V0.

By the way, majkel, I think that you and I are not so far apart in our basic philosophy, which is that there is great individual variation in sensitivity to encoding artifacts and that the best advice is for each individual to make his or her own evaluation of the "right" formats and encoder settings. In practice, though, people won't do that. Where you and I appear to differ is with respect to what sort of advice is most useful to those who aren't going to take the time to test for themselves.

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #127 of 133
I use 1410KBPS MP3, when the recording is pristine. In other words, if the microphone placement and recording equipment quality/soundboard engineer, warrants that I use the memory space. For ordinary listening enjoyment, where the quality of the original recording due to studio equipment/microphone placement/soundboard engineering does not warrant it, I use 256kpbs mp3. I have even been fooled by a superior recording encoded at a lesser resolution. This was slightly off-topic, but it determines what I will use for a particular tune.

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #128 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use 1410KBPS MP3

There's a 1410kbps mp3???????????

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #129 of 133
No, the highest supported bitrate in the MP3 specification is 320kbps. There is something called "freeformat" MP3 that allows encoding up to 640kbps (I think) but very few decoders support it, and besides, at that bitrate, file sizes are going to be comparable to lossless files, so there's not much of a point anyway. I have a feeling that was a typo in amphead's post.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #132 of 133
done. I just abx'd flac and wav. I used my defragger to fragment one of the wav files on my files on hdd they picked between the two based on hard drive activity. The test was cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back