~$250 or less _open back_ and durable Headphones
Jul 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DrPepper95

New Head-Fier
Well, I'm a long time lurker, first time to post. I have tried Sennheiser 518s and I own a pair of Grado SR80is that's all I've expirenced for open back headphones. From what I've heard from a friend's pair of Sennheiser 518s they sound good but not great. Both with and without my Fiio E11 for an amp. My Grado SR 80's don't change much at all with the amp, although it feels as if there's less "missing."

I've become used to my Sennheiser HD 380s over the past few months and They're pretty much the best from what I've heard, now I know they're not the best headphones they're simply the best I've heard. They're a lot more spacious and detailed compared to everything else I have used in the past, but I really like open back headphones, I don't want to settle and I want to go with something that's going to not only last me awhile but be about as good if not better than my HD 380s I would like to avoid buying Sennheiser headphones if possible, not because I have anything against them, but because I already own a pair of Sennheiser headphones and I would like to try something different.

I've looking at open back headphones in the $250 and less range, I'd be willing to spend about $275-300 but they had better be the best headphone purchase of my life. I'm also concerned about durability. My pair of SR 80i's have actually held up quite good in my backpack, but one time I had to bend the metal band back to normal as it had gotten pinched when it was in my bag, not cool. I like the case on my HD 380s and would like my next headphones to have a case, so a headphones + case recommendation would be awesome too.

I've been looking at the AKG K/Q 701's mainly, they look cool, I understand they're quite large, but I don't really care about that, I want something durable w/ a case if possible but first and foremost sound really good. I also have been looking at Byerdynamic DT 880/990 headphones, the 990 pros are $165 or so on Amazon right now, it's that going to sound any worse than my HD 380s? Is the plastic on these headphones quite durable if I didn't use a case? Any good cases come to mind? The Sennheiser 598s also come to mind but I just don't want to buy another pair of Sennheisers. Grado SR225i's come to mind as well, but unless someone knows of a good case for them I don't see them as being durable enough.

I'm up for a lot of suggestions, although I'm _not_ going to buy _anything_ closed back. I own a pair of closed back headphones. I'm not considering IEMs either, I had a pair (Klipsch Custom 2's and S4i) and they didn't thrill me all that much. I'm planning on ordering something in the next week or two, trying them out and letting everyone know what I think of them ( for what that's worth with my limited headphone expirence ) Having a portable amp to drive the headphones doesn't bother me much either, it'd be nice not to need it, but my HD 380s really open up with an amp so I'd probably want to use it anyway.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 10
I would check out audio technicas AD line for something non sennheiser. The hd600s and q701/k701/k702 are considered the best to be had in that price range although I would never think about putting either in a back pack with out a giant pelican case. Neither would sound any where near their potential being driven by an e11 though.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 10
All these headphones require desktop amping.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 10
Ah, yes. I missed that part. Audio Technica ATH-AD900X is a decent choice and from what I've read, doesn't need amping. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Well I own a Fiio E11. I guess I should clarify what I'm looking for a little bit and how it'll be used. Generally I'll either be at my desk at home, my desk at work, or possibly with my laptop when I'm using these headphones, I'm planning on actually getting a desktop amp quite soon and I want something great at my desk, and something decent when I'm not using a desktop amp. I am leaning towards the AD 900X because of the low impedance. Although if something like a Fiio E11 is good enough for the DT 990 then I might be leaning towards that.

In terms of durability, a Pelican case makes a lot of sense, a Cummins quick check I had used to have a Pelican case and they're tough as nails. What kind of pelican case should I be looking at though? There's so many choices on amazon!

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
In terms of durability, a Pelican case makes a lot of sense, a Cummins quick check I had used to have a Pelican case and they're tough as nails. What kind of pelican case should I be looking at though? There's so many choices on amazon!

1300 will fit a single pair of headphones:
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1300-Case-Camera-Desert/dp/B0019OTY6C/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335214099&sr=1-5

1450 will fit two:
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1450-Case-Camera-Black/dp/B00013J86I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315861372&sr=1-1

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Well I bought a pair of DT 990s and I will soon see how well they work with my Fiio E11, I'm probably going to be buying a desktop amp sometime soon anyway. A Pelikan case is also on my list of things to get but they're going to be used at home most of the time right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back