24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Sep 7, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #7,171 of 7,175
In general J. Haydn is highly regarded among the classical music listeners. His music is performed and recorded a lot. Haydn is doing fine. I like Haydn's music, but I also like a lot the music of his contemporary Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf, whose music isn't nearly as much performed or recorded.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #7,172 of 7,175
Ravel’s Bolero should be one of the most boring pieces of classical music ever written but it’s a firm favourite of classical audiences.

Maybe as it borders on the hypnotic? It builds slowly weaving its spell, it's like a journey and you feel like you're experiencing something almost transcendental listening to it.

Rock music can also be predictable, many albums written in the 80's especially were formulaic in that they often had a fast heavy track or two followed by a much softer track, often a ballad or love song, e.g Thin Lizzy, Rainbow.

Sep 7, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #7,173 of 7,175
Bruckner can frustrate me at times with all the alternating loud/quiet stuff. But it can be good if the conductor has the ability to sculpt something from it.

I tend to think of conductors I don't like (Abbado, Ozawa, Chailly) rather than composers I don't like. Most of them have composed something I like. But I do make an exception for Erik Satie. I consider him a lazy poseur.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #7,174 of 7,175
Maybe as it borders on the hypnotic? It builds slowly weaving its spell, it's like a journey and you feel like you're experiencing something almost transcendental listening to it.

Rock music can also be predictable, many albums written in the 80's especially were formulaic in that they often had a fast heavy track or two followed by a much softer track, often a ballad or love song, e.g Thin Lizzy, Rainbow.

Agree with this...and definitely am not a major fan of classical music -- preferring blues, jazz, R&B, rock and even some country over most classical music.

That said, if a piece of music (regardless of genre) can transport, 'weave it's spell', move, or 'hypnotize' me, then it's going to get way more playtime than the otherwise.

My favorite 'opera' ? :wink:

Dons flame retardant suit...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back