~200 USD Closed Headphones
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GhzGuy

New Head-Fier
Hello all!
I've been in the market for some closed back, over ear headphones for a while. Closed back because college and open back headphones just don't seem like a great idea to me. My friend has let me try out his AKG K553 MKII for a few days as well. (I'm quite enjoying them so far)

Previous Headphones: AKG M220 (Not enough bass for me honestly.) Superlux 668B (They're really nice, but I'm looking for something with some more sound isolation.)

Source: PC most of the time. Maybe my phone (LG V30) occasionally.

Isolation: Active noise cancellation isn't needed (Although it is really cool!) A good passive seal would be perfect.

Music Genre: I listen to EDM most of the time. Not the super bass heavy dubstep or anything though.

Budget: 200 and under. If there's something at, say, 250 that's just amazing though, I think I can work a few more hours and get the money.

Notes from the AKG K553 MKII: The sound isolation is really nice, and the stock pads are a huge upgrade over my Superlux. The top pad is a little thin though. It sounds nice too! (As one would hope for this much money) but I think I wish there was just a little more punch in the bass. Nothing stands out as a deal breaker though and I think I'd be happy to own them if that's what it came down to. I just wanted to be sure before I pulled the trigger.

Thank you! Have a wonderful day!

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Meze 99 Neo was my first thought.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Meze 99 Neo was my first thought.
That one looks quite nice as well! I'll do a little more digging on it. I would have never found this. Thank you so much!

As another option, check out the Sony WH-H900N here with 28 hours of wireless listening and ANC here:

https://www.razordogaudio.com/colle...ancelling-headphones-with-mic-grayish-black-1

Otherwise, you can also check out the AKG K550 MKIII with detachable cable here:

https://www.razordogaudio.com/colle...k550-mkiii-closed-back-reference-headphones-1

I got to try some Sony wireless headphones, no idea the model, but they were better than I expected to be totally honest. I'll certainly consider that.

I get the feeling that the K553 MKII and the K550 MKIII are exactly the same headphone, or very, very close. Maybe I'm wrong though! That's a cool website too. Thank you for your suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back