~200$ headphones and do I need a DAC?
May 2, 2017 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

krzysiek2905

New Head-Fier
Hi all :)
I'm planning to buy a headphones to listen at home. I'm thinking about Sennheiser HD 599 or maybe ATH M50X, but I think open ones (HD 599) would be better for listining in home, am I right? What other headphones are good in this price range? I've heard that Monolith M560 are good, but they would cost me about 280$ with shipping to where I live, and I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on first 'pricey' headphones, because I'm not sure if I would really hear a difference.

My second question is: do I need a DAC? I have Denon Ceol Carino pc speakers and they have 3,5mm jack output, so I think it should be better than a soundcard I have build in my motherboard (alc1150), right?. Or should i purchase something like Fiio e10k?

Btw, sorry if I made any mistakes, english is not my native language :wink:

May 4, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi, I would like to help you but you have many questions so bare with me.
First if you would like to enjoy the full benefits of owning expensive headphones a separate amp/dac is important.
You can buy a little combo meaning a dac and amp in the same housing or separate. All will improve your own listining experience. You have many options to explore here on the review pages . I started with an ipod and added a pair of grado headphones then later bought an external amp later more expensive headphones and a dac. Each time a little better sound. Second the open headphones will let other people enjoy your music but the closed will not. The choice is yours for your personal circumstances you may want both, something to consider. I have heard the dragonfly it sounds nice and is tiny for easy storage. There are many choices enjoy the journey :)

May 4, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Well if I'm reading correctly you speaker setup has a onboard dac. So no need right now to look at that. Headphones will make the most difference in sound at this price point for sure. I have not heard the 599's so can't say but have heard the M50's and I personally did not care for them unless you want bloated bass response. The rest of the sound signature is not too bad but the bass was just too flabby for me. I'm not a basshead so some I'm sure will disagree but that is my take. i have not heard a lot of good things about the early Monoprice cans but some are saying the new revisions of the 1050's are definitely better have not heard them just going on what I've heard and one from a person I know. I would go for open cans in this price range as they are definitely better than closed. I would not waste money on a dac at this point headphones make so much more difference in sound quality. You never said what headphones your coming from as that could help also.

May 4, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 5
I agree with @buke9 that an open headphone would be your best option overall. As for the Monoprice, I am always reticent about a new product release from a mfr. that has not previously made something similar to the new release(s). So for me, I am waiting to buy an M1060 until some of the kinks have been worked out. Have also not heard the 599 but I own the 598 and like it very much. Have heard the 599 is a bit more detailed, so there is that. If you are going to splurge for the M560, I would recommend that you instead buy the HE400S, which is really terrific. It does not require an amp, you can play it straight out of a phone or DAP, no problem. Really good. Lastly, I really like the K612 Pro--it is a steal at its price. You might also check it out and see what you think.

May 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for all the anwsers! My past headphones are Sennheiser hd 208 and Sony MDR-XB600B, and I was using them with onboard audio on my PC. So for now I will refrain from buying DAC, maybe I'll get one later. I will keep reading the reviews then, thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back