$200 Budget -- Are monitors the way to go?
Nov 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gamefreak

New Head-Fier
Hey guys & gals,

Looking to upgrade my current laptop speakers in the near future. Currently I've got a set of Logitech Z-4's that are a step up from my laptop speakers, but aren't really doing what I'm looking for (I mostly listen to music and watch the occasional movie).

I've got a budget of $200 to get a better system in place, and I'm having some trouble deciding what to get. I've read some threads on passive/active monitors, but I'm not sure if I will like or have a need for their neutral sound. Also, I'm not sure that I could get a decent monitor system with a $200 budget.

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations to look into? Should I be looking at a cheap set of monitors or more into the 2/2.1 computer speaker range?

Cheers,
GF

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 7
Go with the bookshelves, as you'll be mainly listening to music it's a no brainer. Coming from the Z-4 I can guarantee you won't miss the "subwoofer" (more like a glorified woofer) bass at all. Bookshelf speakers will provide a sound quality you won't find with the 2.1 kits.

You can try the M-Audio AV-40 or the Swan D1010MkII 08. Not really sure if you can find the Swan M200 at this range, but if you can, go for it.
Some might recommend the Audioengine A2, but they're just too small IMO, so they'll certainly lack in the bass department. I'd say avoid them unless you really need the reduced size.

At this price range forget about passive speakers.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to say, the only possible exception for this, is if you listen mostly to deep bass music (constantly goes below ~45Hz) like some electronica/dance. In this case 2.1 kits will extend lower enough to give you a fuller sound in this region, even if of lower quality. In this specific case it might be an interesting trade-off.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 7
I can vouch that the AV series is a nice buy. I got my AV-30's as my first forray into the not-crappy audio arena. I also got a chance to test a set of AV-40's and they are very nice for the price, they were just bigger and more expensive than I had room/cash for.

Granted, my only standards of comparison are the everyday logitec speakers, so you may want to take that with a grain of salt

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 7
I used to have the Z4 the satilites are horrible but the pressure sub weren't bad just lacked in volume, the trouble with small monitors is the bass responce is poor, small monitors will be a huge upgrade in terms of sq but a downgrade in terms of bass, if you won't miss the lower end frequences then go for a small set of monitors, if you want some more lower end responce then there are better 2.1 systems than the logitech Z4. 

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 7
I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago. For $200, I'd stay away from passive speakers, cause you'll need to spend even more on an amp. For actives around $200, I've tested the Swans M10, Audioengine A2, and M-Audio AV-40. I personally liked the Audioengine's the most out of those, but the bass is somewhat lacking.

It really depends on your living situation, too. I'm in a small apartment so I don't really have any use for the extra bass, and the Audioengines sounded the nicest to me. The Swans look really nice though, if you care for aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back