~$200 BT options for blocking out office chatter?
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jeepz

New Head-Fier
Hey y'all!

I've been using my XB950BT's for a while at the office for a while now, and they've been pretty good. Sound quality isn't outstanding but its been great so far for isolating sound.

Enter my new receptionist. She's loud and bubbly. My office is 2 doors over and I can still hear her with my headphones on.

I'm looking for headphones that will greatly reduce voices even with no music playing.

Do I need noise cancelling or are noise isolating good enough? Considering my XB950's do a good job isolating in normal circumstances, I'm thinking NC might be the next step.

I prefer over-ear headphones (not on-ear) but would consider IEMs.

I listen to some hip-hop but also a bunch of classical, ambient noise and podcasts.

Bluetooth is mandatory. So far I've looked at getting the SE215's (haven't found a cable that supports AAC yet), as well as the Sony WH1000xm2 and the QC35 -- but I hear that those still don't block out all voices.

Looking around the $200 range, although I can stretch a bit if the quality is good.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 11
Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) isn't very good at removing sounds with a lot of quick sudden changes, like voices. You're best bet would be sound isolating IEM. They form a seal to prevent sound from going in.

haven't found a cable that supports AAC yet
Do you have a particular reason why you need a cable that suppports AAC? I get that SBC isn't the best but you're not going to find a wireless cable that supports AAC, barely any headphones/cable/earphones do.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 11
Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) isn't very good at removing sounds with a lot of quick sudden changes, like voices. You're best bet would be sound isolating IEM. They form a seal to prevent sound from going in.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I wish my ears didn't get so itchy after an hour or so of using IEM's. Its probably the tips I'm using.

Do you have a particular reason why you need a cable that suppports AAC? I get that SBC isn't the best but you're not going to find a wireless cable that supports AAC, barely any headphones/cable/earphones do.

I only use Apple products. My Macs support aptX but my iDevices don't. I can definitely tell quality difference between SBC and AAC.

I know that the Advanced Model 3 supports AAC but that cable looks atrocious. Though for under $100 I should give 'em a try!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 11

Is there an IEM you would recommend?

I wanted to buy the Bose QC35 but I understand from your reply it's not recommended at all.

Jeepz, hope you're not mad at me for hijacking your post :)

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, that's what I figured. I wish my ears didn't get so itchy after an hour or so of using IEM's. Its probably the tips I'm using.

Maybe try some foam tips? They degrade pretty fast but they’re much more comfortable and isolate better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back