$200-$300 for source, music & gaming, Emu prelude?
Feb 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Prelude DOES NOT support EAX effects in 2 channel pcm spdif output in Vista. Only Dolby Live supports them, but that is useless with headphones.

Regular x-fi's DO support EAX in spdif output too.

What about in XP? ( I think Ive asked this question before).

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #33 of 36
basically everything works in XP, EAX is sort of killed in Vista because it rides along with directsound, which has to be translated into OpenAL for the card (and some other things Vista does differently) that translate into a lot of the big money features of X-Fi falling apart all over themselves

also, the spdif output on the prelude is very meh in what it can actually do

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on what basis? its the exact same audio processor, except the X-Fi Elite Pro has more complete drivers, better DACs, better ADCs, better opamps, better connectors, and is overall a better card

The Elite Pro does have worse opamps. And I would not say the AKM dac is inferior to the one in Elite Pro.

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basically everything works in XP, EAX is sort of killed in Vista because it rides along with directsound, which has to be translated into OpenAL for the card (and some other things Vista does differently) that translate into a lot of the big money features of X-Fi falling apart all over themselves

also, the spdif output on the prelude is very meh in what it can actually do

What's wrong with the spdif output on the prelude may I ask?

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the spdif output on the prelude may I ask?

Well, with the Prelude and the its spdif output on Vista there are several problems.

1) No effects work. It will not pass EAX effects or anything. No hardware acceleration.

2) It stops sending anything when there is no sound -> my receiver locks on to the signal in two seconds. That means there's always a pause before anything starts to play. Major bummer.

3) It works properly in Dolby Live mode. But that mode is useless as I use an external dac.

X-Fi handles it properly. So I will soon take the Prelude out and put my older x-fi back in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back