200-250$ Budget Headphones
Oct 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

perceptionx

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I'm on the market for some decent headphones to pair with my recently purchased Xonar Essence STX sound card. Obviously with a card that good it would be beneficial to pair with a set of HD 600+ but at the moment it's not just not within my price range. The card comes with a built-in amplifier so high impedance is not a problem. 

I listen to pretty much everything, mostly house/trance/rock.  

Currently I'm thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's as they come to around 200$ and I've heard some great things about them. 

This is a first post, so any and all info/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 5
I would highly recommend the akg 712 pro. It will work great with the dolby headphone for movies and games. They are extremely comfortable and really shine in computer usage scenarios. The comfort really allows them to be worn for extended periods, ie movies and games. They are also great with music but by most modern perceptions have lacking bass. So if you are edm-ing it, probably not the best match. The bass is there musically and I really enjoy it but it doesnt push a ton of air to get the impact that most people expect when they think of bass.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Those actually look like great phones, but as you said, and as I should have said I do edm it =]. Bass is a pretty big deal for me and the music I listen to. I just called a local store I've never even heard of and apparently they have the DT 990 Pro's for 125$ on sale... probably going to go that route unless anyone else has any other recommendations. 

Thank you very much ComradeDylie. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 5
The DT990s are full bass & full treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
DT990 Pro 250-ohm for $125, that a good deal.
Are those DT990s new headphones? Demos? open box? used?

When you installed the Essence STX, did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? In the BIOS.
Try the "Unified Xonar Drivers".

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Sorry for taking so long to respond - was out buying the DT990's =]. 

Yes, they are brand new and were on a blowout sale due to them being discontinued at this particular store. 

I did disable on-board audio as soon as I installed the card.

Just got everything hooked up and I honestly can't believe the difference...mind blown. Unbelievable how I didn't do this a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back