$200 2.0 speakers, some questions
Dec 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aleex

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've been thinking of getting a pair of speakers for a while now. I've been looking at speakers in the $150-$200 range. I want them to be small(not small like the "speakers" that come with your Dell PC, but compact), and not too dependent on positioning. I have an Essence STX.

Soundwise, I don't really know what I'm looking for. I know I'm not getting any bassmonsters when buying 2.0, and I'm fine with that, but I'll rather have something more bassy/"fun" than "harsh"/"cold". 
I'm really not in the loop regarding speakers, so these suggestions might be obsolete, but I've been thinking about the Audioengine A2's, the M-Audio BX5a's and the AV-40's. 

How big is the difference between the BX5a's and the AV40's? 
Is there a great difference between the A2's and the BX5a's? 
Any other suggestions on speakers in this pricerange?
In general, how much does the sound depend on room acoustics and positioning of the speakers with a 2.0 system?

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 9
In general, how much does the sound depend on room acoustics and positioning of the speakers with a 2.0 system?

I have a 2.0 Pioneer system (SP-BS21-LR) and I don't think positioning makes much of a difference. I have them at ear level. I don't have a big room and since the port is close to the wall, I've actually turned down the bass in foobar's equalizer so they didn't pump out so much. Pretty amazing for a small 2.0

Best Buy has them: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%22+2-Way+Bookshelf+Speakers+%28Pair%29/1148218.p?id=1218224799780&skuId=1148218

Stereophile likes their bigger brothers the BS41-LR. I personally think the little brother is more than enough for a small apartment room.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 9
I went Audioengine A2s for my purposes. I was torn at the same decision, but the A2s were my choice.

1. They look 2x sexier than the Bx5a
2. They normally run a tad bit cheaper
3. They sound a little more fun with forward mids, slightly "veiled" but super smooth highs, and a good mid-bass emphasis. They have a surprisingly good mid-bass presence for its tiny kevlar "woofers". 
4. The bx5as are a little more neutral and analytical, I wanted something good for general computer entertainment rather than monitor purposes (I have some studio monitor headphones for those). The bx5as are cold-sounding but a little more energy and power.

Sure, the A2s aren't obviously aren't the best but for that mouth watering sexy finish, you really can't resist them. Honestly, they don't sound that great but with a little EQing, I use them to relax or fill a room when doing some other work. 

Here's a suggestion:
Do note that the Swan M10 (if you are looking for a 2.1 setup) is superior to all these picks for your $200 category. It is probably the best deal you can get and best price to performance ratio for any computer system these days and will beat down both the bx5a and a2 to puddles of blood without breaking a sweat from its tiny quasi-sub in the low, middle, and high range. You really can't compare for under $200.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 9
Hmm, the Swan M10's seem interesting. I said 2.0 in the title mainly b/c I thought there weren't any truly good 2.1 sets. Found them at a good price here too, $150(on sale). I'll check out some reviews. 
Are the M10's hard to place in the right position? I'm kinda worried about the woofer, not sure I'll find a place for it on my desk.

The A2's were in fact a tad more expensive than the BX5a's here, but the BX5a's were out of stock on thomann last time I checked. I think I'll go with the Swans. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

Positioning, I find that with most 2.0 systems, it plays a pretty important factor mainly due to how wide you want your soundstage to be, I find that for me, a 30 degree inwards facing works pretty well. As for room acoustics, I don't know the specifics but I don't think that it should play a very large factor with budget systems. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Just ordered my Swans now. Thanks for all the help, everyone! Especially Bossatiger for suggesting them. 

Edit: Seems like they were out of stock and won't have new until March 1st. If anyone knows of any European retailers which have them in stock(or will have them soon) at a decent price, I'd be very glad to know. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 9
excellent choice, another Swans owner. The M10 is definitely a good choice for entry 2.0 or 2.1 speakers compared to others. Swans are known for getting more than what its worth. I'm currently using their M200 MKIII, great desktop monitors..

Quote:
Just ordered my Swans now. Thanks for all the help, everyone! Especially Bossatiger for suggesting them. 

Edit: Seems like they were out of stock and won't have new until March 1st. If anyone knows of any European retailers which have them in stock(or will have them soon) at a decent price, I'd be very glad to know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back