~$150 AMP/DAC Recommednation
Apr 15, 2010 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Focal1

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I have been reading around for a while, and I am hoping to get some opinions from you.

Right now I have a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ that I got a few years back for some light DJ'ing use. I also have a small pair of in-ear Skullcandy phones that were very inexpensive. I typically use the Skullcandy's when I am out of the house (walking to classes, etc.) and the Sony's when I am at my desk (home and office), though I do sometimes use the Sony's while walking.

For a while I have wanted to look at upgrading to some new headphones (probably Grado SR80i or Alessandro MS1i based on my musical tastes), but figured that if I can consistently hear a steady hissing coming from both my home and work computer headphone jacks and my iPod's jack with the Sony's and the Skullcandy's, maybe I should spend the money first to get DAC/amp then get new phones later.

I have a limited budget right now, in the ~$150 range. I have looked at the HeadRoom Bithead, the iBasso D2+, and a few others, but was wondering what you guys thought would work best for my purposes.

I want it to be portable so I can use it at work and at home. If I can use it on-the-go with my iPod, that would be a plus, but is not necessary.

I want something that will make the Sony's sound better (I suspect most anything will), but will still be nice enough that a mid-fi set of phones like the Grado's or Alessandro's wouldn't sound crappy coming out of it later.

Any specific recommendations? I would not be opposed to spending a little bit more if the product would be a lot much nicer, but I don't want to spend $300 on an amp right now while I still have a few more years of college to get through.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back