128 kbps open test results - mpc, aac, wma pro, ogg, lame, blade
Aug 4, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 4
Interesting, that the MPC codec ranks highest. I haven't really used it so far. I'm not surprised that AAC and Ogg Vorbis would test so similarly. What surprised me was that LAME fared so badly.

Still, I wish Amorim (or someone else) would run a similar test for 196 kbps, since I try never to encode (or d/l) at a lower rate than that.

Aug 4, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Lame (with the alt presets) is clearly tuned for higher bitrates, and --alt-preset 128 must be making a lot of compromises it wasn't really designed for (even 160k ABR might be dramatically better). I think I'd still choose FhG (Fraunhofer) CBR at 128k, if there were ever a reason to use that bitrate with MP3 again.

Aug 4, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Still, I wish Amorim (or someone else) would run a similar test for 196 kbps, since I try never to encode (or d/l) at a lower rate than that.

Yeah, I agree the lower kbps of this test (and the earlier multi AAC one) makes the results of limited use... but then again the only reason we use 192 is because MP3's tend to suffer before that. If transparency can be approached at a lower rate by AAC, OGG, etc., 128 may be the new standard (AAC already comes close to maxing out at 160-192). Remember it took a while for MP3 encoding to be tuned to LAME --aps standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back