1212M Versus 300$ CD player
Jul 12, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
So what you're saying is that into the same amp and/or speakers, at the same volume and in a blind test, most people preffered a $200 sound card to a $2000 cdp?! It just sounds crazy to me. Maybe I've been spending too much time on hi-fi forums, but I can't believe a little card can be that good. Maybe if you purely compare the headphone ouput of a cdp to a sound card, because cdp headphone outputs/amps are mainly crap.

rolleyes.gif

Still speculating on gear you havent heard eh? This time here instead of the HFC forum...

I've got some advice. Dont bother replacing your Rotel with a soundcard, as you clearly already dont think it will stand a chance against it, and will argue with people who have experience, when you have none. It requires effort and dedication to get a good PC audio rig, but more importantly, it requires that you have an open mind, and dont believe all of the traditional audiophile bollocks that you clearly already believe.

Jul 12, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
What are you guys feeding the 1212m? I am thinking compressed audio, right? If that's the case, you are comparing it to a CDP which surely is using an audio-cd. In that case, how could it possibly sound better?

Which brings me to another question - At what point is a computer sound card too good? If you feed it anything compressed at all, then it's already degraded. If you feed it pure audio cd's (raw), then why not just play it through a cd player?

Most of us do NOT feed it compressed audio, we are using lossless audio, monkeys audio, flac are the two most popular, exactly the same as CD. The compression method on these does not degrade quality at all, it is not the same at all as mp3 or anything like that, thats why lossless file size is quite large in comparisson.

Lossless audio allows you to store your entire CD collection at perfect quality on your hard drive, and playback easily.

Jul 12, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Keep it clean please.

Flame looked squeaky clean to me.
It was yet another lemming asking to be burnt to a crisp.

Cuz you know, all cd players suck because I heard my friend's JVC CD player and it sucked.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Jul 12, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
What are you guys feeding the 1212m? I am thinking compressed audio, right?

I personally use lossless for management reasons but last I checked... most if not all PCs have a CD or DVD player
rolleyes.gif
So you can use the same CD you would use on a dedicated CDP in a PC based system.

Jul 12, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Most of us do NOT feed it compressed audio, we are using lossless audio, monkeys audio, flac are the two most popular, exactly the same as CD. The compression method on these does not degrade quality at all, it is not the same at all as mp3 or anything like that, thats why lossless file size is quite large in comparisson.

Lossless audio allows you to store your entire CD collection at perfect quality on your hard drive, and playback easily.

Lossless Audio Codec's are compressioned.
wink.gif

Compressed without any loss in quality, that is.

-Ed

Jul 20, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Lossless Audio Codec's are compressioned.
wink.gif

Compressed without any loss in quality, that is.

-Ed

Yes, but its compressed in a different way, than mp3 etc are compressed.

Its compressed in the same type of way, say a program is compressed when you zip it, none of the program goes missing, its all there, compressing data does not always mean there is data loss or loss of any sort of quality.

Lossless compressions are perfect CD copies.
You can de-compress the lossless compression format back to wav and burn it to CD exactly as it was.

Jul 20, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Yes, but its compressed in a different way, than mp3 etc are compressed.

Its compressed in the same type of way, say a program is compressed when you zip it, none of the program goes missing, its all there, compressing data does not always mean there is data loss or loss of any sort of quality.

Lossless compressions are perfect CD copies.
You can de-compress the lossless compression format back to wav and burn it to CD exactly as it was.

somehow i think he knew that already.
icon10.gif

Jul 20, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
somehow i think he knew that already.
icon10.gif

Just making sure, and so that others reading the thread know, lots of people still shy away from PC sources when they hear the word "compression"

600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back